Filter Criteria And Current Folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
osxtra

Filter Criteria And Current Folder

Post by osxtra »

Hi, not sure if this should go in Support, General, or Features.

Have a filter I always run manually. It's disabled as it arbitrarily marks all messages as read and moves them to junk, handling the few left in Inbox that other filters haven't caught.

Am trying to find out how that filter can "know" the currently selected folder so I could just make that a criteria ("Subject" contains, "To" is, etc. I'm looking for "Folder is").

This is because, if I accidentally run it in the Filters window from something other than Inbox, it of course does what I tell it to, moving every message in that sub-folder to junk.

Sure Ctrl/Cmd-Z can undo, but with potentially thousands of messages over the years in any one sub-folder, that undo might take a while. After of course I've waited an equal amount of time for it to move them to junk in the first place.

Perhaps this is not possible with stock TB, and would need to be an add-on? Haven't written any of those yet.

If anyone has an idea how to accomplish this, please advise.

Thanks!
morat

Re: Filter Criteria And Current Folder

Post by morat »

The FiltaQuilla addon has a Folder Name search term feature.

FiltaQuilla search terms
http://quickfilters.quickfolders.org/fi ... earchterms
RealRaven2000 wrote:This can be useful in at least two cases:

* Filter are applied manually, but certain actions should not be executed in all folders

* For IMAP only with incoming filters, it is possible to allow filters to be executed on particular folders other than the inbox. In those cases, the Folder Name search can be useful to restrict the app of certain actions to messages that were moved to a particular folder, possibly by another filter.
The tbkeys addon can mark a message as spam and move the message to the spam folder.

Moving to junk folder
http://github.com/wshanks/tbkeys/issues/110

P.S.

You can set the app to auto move the message to the spam folder when you mark a message as spam.

Menu Bar > Tools > Account Settings > Your Account > Junk Settings > [check] Move new junk messages to

More info
http://support.mozilla.org/questions/1161919
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

In the Message Filters pop-up which appears when you go to Tools > Message Filters the top row of text includes "Filters for" and a drop-down to select the folder(s) for which the filters listed should apply. Will selecting the relevant folder then creating your filter solve your problem?
osxtra

Post by osxtra »

Thanks, morat, FiltaQuilla did the trick...