MozillaZine

Home page Keyboard shortcut

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
djnr

Post Posted November 5th, 2002, 12:05 pm

Any chances of adding Opera's Ctrl+Space shortcut for quick home page access?

I always find the Alt+Home combination really cumbersome, more cumbersome almost than reaching for my mouse. It can stay, but I think Ctrl+Space would really make Phoenix a lot friendlier.

hokiegenius

Post Posted November 5th, 2002, 12:07 pm

djnrempel wrote:Any chances of adding Opera's Ctrl+Space shortcut for quick home page access?

I always find the Alt+Home combination really cumbersome, more cumbersome almost than reaching for my mouse. It can stay, but I think Ctrl+Space would really make Phoenix a lot friendlier.

I agree Ctrl+Space would be far preferable to Alt+Home

alanjstr

Post Posted November 5th, 2002, 5:01 pm

Or how about just a way to specify your own key bindings.

djnr

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 10:34 am

I've just learned that the Ctrl-Space shortcut has been entered as a bug and has someone assigned to it.

Apparently the developers have said several times that they're not going to do customizable key bindings.

What I've done in the meantime is use a third-party macro utility, Macromaker, which is free, to enter the keystrokes "Ctrl-Lwww.address.com/exampleEnter" to automatically go to that web site when I press the chosen key combination. This way I can access a few favourite URLS no matter which browser I'm using, as long as it uses Ctrl-L to focus the Address bar.

Ted Mielczarek

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 11:38 am

Customizable keybindings are there, but you have to dig around in XML files to do it right now.
http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html#keys

There's a bug for adding a UI to it: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=57805

djst

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 3:52 pm

djnrempel wrote:I've just learned that the Ctrl-Space shortcut has been entered as a bug and has someone assigned to it.

Not exactly right. I've filed a <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=178631">RFE</a> for this, but it's not assigned to anyone. It's not even confirmed.

djnr

Post Posted November 6th, 2002, 4:21 pm

I saw this info when I clicked one your RFE link:

Assigned To: blaker@netscape.com (Blake Ross)

It did however say unconfirmed. I have no idea how these things are handled however.

Sorry for the misinformation there.

Return to Firefox Features