Linux/*nix Mail Handler

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
biz

Linux/*nix Mail Handler

Post by biz »

It would be great if there could be a mail handler like galeon so you can configure witch mail + options you want from the GUI

-- evolution "%u"
-- xterm -e mutt [-c "%c"] [-b "%b"] [-s "%s"] ["%t"]
-- emacs --eval '(mail nil "%t" "%s")'

(I love mutt, so option 2 is what I i want for my mailto: links)

I know in mozilla you can configure this someplace in the "user" or "prefs" js files, but I thought it would be cool if phoenix could do it as well. Also if someone can show where to hack the js to get the mutt example to work for phoenix, I'll be tickled pink.

-biz-
Last edited by biz on November 24th, 2002, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asa

Re: Mail Handler

Post by asa »

biz wrote:It would be great if there could be a mail handler like galeon so you can configure witch mail + options you want from the GUI

-- evolution "%u"
-- xterm -e mutt [-c "%c"] [-b "%b"] [-s "%s"] ["%t"]
-- emacs --eval '(mail nil "%t" "%s")'

(I love mutt, so option 2 is what I i want for my mailto: links)

I know in mozilla you can configure this someplace in the "user" or "prefs" js files, but I thought it would be cool if phoenix could do it as well. Also if someone can show where to hack the js to get the mutt example to work for phoenix, I'll be tickled pink.

-biz-

It would be even better if you could just register a default mail handler and Phoenix would just use that without any extra configuration.

--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961
ehume

Post by ehume »

I just checked out Avant Browser (www.avantbrowser.com), an IE-based browser, for my daughter's machine. It has a capacity to select which e-mail client to use.
asa

Post by asa »

ehume wrote:I just checked out Avant Browser (www.avantbrowser.com), an IE-based browser, for my daughter's machine. It has a capacity to select which e-mail client to use.

On windows we don't have a problem. You set a default client with the OS and when you encounter a mailto link in Phoenix we launch that default mailer. It's only on Linux where there is no one place (system registry) for an app to register itself as the default handler that Phoenix has a problem determining which email client to use.

--Asa
djst

Post by djst »

asa wrote:
ehume wrote:I just checked out Avant Browser (www.avantbrowser.com), an IE-based browser, for my daughter's machine. It has a capacity to select which e-mail client to use.

On windows we don't have a problem. You set a default client with the OS and when you encounter a mailto link in Phoenix we launch that default mailer. It's only on Linux where there is no one place (system registry) for an app to register itself as the default handler that Phoenix has a problem determining which email client to use.

--Asa

The only problem is that Mozilla Mail doesn't register itself as the default mailto link handler. Yeah, the workaround is in the FAQ, but this bug is really bizarre I think.
asa

Post by asa »

djst wrote:The only problem is that Mozilla Mail doesn't register itself as the default mailto link handler. Yeah, the workaround is in the FAQ, but this bug is really bizarre I think.

Got a bug? This worked the last time I tested it (admittadly some months ago). Mozilla deposits some MAPI library that seemed to work just fine for me.

--Asa