Toolbar Collapse/Expand

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
cHa5e

Toolbar Collapse/Expand

Post by cHa5e »

One of the biggest things I've found that annoy me on the interface is the lack of the collapse/expand buttons on the toolbars like on mozilla. I would also like a way to completely hide a toolbar as well. Those two things would definitely make a big impact on me using the browser as opposed to Mozilla (which i use now) or IE. I would also like to see them keep the loadtime very minimal. One of my biggest peeves with Mozilla is that it takes forever to open even on my computer (Athlon 1600xp OC'ed with 768mb ddr 2100 ram). That is a major drawback to using it. One last thing i would suggest is to give html documents an icon when you set pheonix as the default to open them (is it only me?). Thanks for the great browsers!

-chase
<insert witty saying>
seb

Post by seb »

To hide a toolbar, just go to View > Toolbars, and uncheck it.
alanjstr

Re: Toolbar Collapse/Expand

Post by alanjstr »

cHa5e wrote:One of the biggest things I've found that annoy me on the interface is the lack of the collapse/expand buttons on the toolbars like on mozilla.

That dissappeared when they re-did the whole toolbar concept. The new one is much more customizable (view -> toolbars -> customize)

cHa5e wrote:I would also like to see them keep the loadtime very minimal.

They're workin on it. By removing the editor and mail/news, there's less to load

cHa5e wrote:One last thing i would suggest is to give html documents an icon when you set pheonix as the default to open them (is it only me?)

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think it's more a function of the OS being retarded.
laszlo

Re: Toolbar Collapse/Expand

Post by laszlo »

cHa5e wrote:One of the biggest things I've found that annoy me on the interface is the lack of the collapse/expand buttons on the toolbars like on mozilla.

You're talking about the "toolbar grippies" on the left? They got rid of them in Mozilla, too (since several weeks).
cHa5e

Post by cHa5e »

really? ive got mozilla 1.1 and it still has it! maybe one of the nightly builds?
<insert witty saying>
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

cHa5e wrote:really? ive got mozilla 1.1 and it still has it! maybe one of the nightly builds?

They're up to 1.3alpha now. It might have been something they decided to remove when they went from 1.2 to 1.3.
Ted Mielczarek

Grippies

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

I hated the toolbar grippies, and I'm glad they're gone. They were one of my biggest annoyances using Mozilla. I kept hiding the toolbar when I meant to hit back. I can't see any good reason why you'd need to toggle toolbar visibility so quickly that you can't use view->toolbars anyway.
Stefan

Re: Grippies

Post by Stefan »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:I hated the toolbar grippies, and I'm glad they're gone. They were one of my biggest annoyances using Mozilla. I kept hiding the toolbar when I meant to hit back.

I know what U mean ... :D
Glad to hear they are gone.
Piel

Post by Piel »

alanjstr wrote:
cHa5e wrote:really? ive got mozilla 1.1 and it still has it! maybe one of the nightly builds?

They're up to 1.3alpha now. It might have been something they decided to remove when they went from 1.2 to 1.3.

it actually happened between 1.2a and 1.2b IIRC.