Feature Wish: Option to spawn new windows into tabs

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Freerange

Feature Wish: Option to spawn new windows into tabs

Post by Freerange »

Lots of links spawn new windows for the linked page...I think it would be cool to have some advanced browsing preference to spawn these into a new tab rather than a new browser instance.

This is almost possible by using 'open link in a new tab', but a) you have to know ahead of time the link behaves this way and b) if multiple links spawn into the same window (using the "target" attribute in the link) then you won't get the right behavior.

Does that make sense? Is it possible?
seb

Post by seb »

You can use the tabbrowser extensions, it does that. Install it from here: http://texturizer.net/phoenix/extensions.html#tabbed
Freerange

Post by Freerange »

so I can...awesome!

Thanks, missed this last time I used TBE
Ted Mielczarek

Or

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

You could just set

Code: Select all

user_pref("browser.block.target_new_window", true);

and not worry about anything opening in new windows. I use this and I haven't ever regretted it. If I want a new tab, I middle click. I never want a new window.

You'll probably need a nightly to use this feature, I think it was missing from 0.4.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Netsabes wrote:You can use the tabbrowser extensions, it does that. Install it from here: http://texturizer.net/phoenix/extensions.html#tabbed

Piro updates TBE almost daily, so unless you update your mirror often, you might want to point to http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/xpi ... nsions.xpi
djst

Post by djst »

alanjstr wrote:
Netsabes wrote:You can use the tabbrowser extensions, it does that. Install it from here: http://texturizer.net/phoenix/extensions.html#tabbed

Piro updates TBE almost daily, so unless you update your mirror often, you might want to point to http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/xpi ... nsions.xpi

Thanks for the update. He must have changed the link recently.
Faux Pass

Re: Or

Post by Faux Pass »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:You could just set

and not worry about anything opening in new windows. I use this and I haven't ever regretted it. If I want a new tab, I middle click. I never want a new window.

You'll probably need a nightly to use this feature, I think it was missing from 0.4.

I've tried that, but sites that use window.open() still open a new window for me.

Bugzilla bugs y'all might find interesting:

64560 Turn window.open link into normal link
103843 New windows created by javascript should appear as tabs

Coming from Opera, I definitely would prefer a "single window" mode for Phoenix; I think it should be in the default Phoenix Preferences dialog.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Faux Pass wrote:
Ted Mielczarek wrote:You could just set

I've tried that, but sites that use window.open() still open a new window for me.

Bugzilla bugs y'all might find interesting:

64560 Turn window.open link into normal link
103843 New windows created by javascript should appear as tabs

Coming from Opera, I definitely would prefer a "single window" mode for Phoenix; I think it should be in the default Phoenix Preferences dialog.

Tabbed Browser Extensions allows that.
Faux Pass

Post by Faux Pass »

alanjstr wrote:
Faux Pass wrote:Coming from Opera, I definitely would prefer a "single window" mode for Phoenix; I think it should be in the default Phoenix Preferences dialog.

Oh, I know. I just think it should be in the Phoenix Preferences dialog.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Faux Pass wrote:
alanjstr wrote:
Faux Pass wrote:Coming from Opera, I definitely would prefer a "single window" mode for Phoenix; I think it should be in the default Phoenix Preferences dialog.

Yes, it would be nice for them to port some of the TBE features into regular Mozilla/Phoenix. Maybe Mozilla already has a RFE for that. If not, go ahead and put one in.
asa

Post by asa »

alanjstr wrote:
Faux Pass wrote:
alanjstr wrote:

Yes, it would be nice for them to port some of the TBE features into regular Mozilla/Phoenix. Maybe Mozilla already has a RFE for that. If not, go ahead and put one in.

Yep. Sounds like a plan to me. Let's build in every feature from every extension. Yay! And then we can build in a email client and an html composer. Why stop there when we can integrate a chat client and a word processor? What's stopping us from adding a graphics editor and an dvd player. Woo-hoo! Wny not submit feature requests for all of that?

--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961
flii

Post by flii »

i think, asa, that one of phoenix's main features is its tab support. tabs are actually winning me over, believe it or not. lol. maybe a poll should be made if users like using the tabs with only 1 window, tabs in a few diff windows, all new window and never tabs, or whatever happens to happen. *shrug* my thinking is that most people use the tabs, but that's just a general feeling from reading posts.
djst

Post by djst »

Flii wrote:i think, asa, that one of phoenix's main features is its tab support. tabs are actually winning me over, believe it or not. lol. maybe a poll should be made if users like using the tabs with only 1 window, tabs in a few diff windows, all new window and never tabs, or whatever happens to happen. *shrug* my thinking is that most people use the tabs, but that's just a general feeling from reading posts.

I for one have never found the need of any feature in the tabbed browsing extension. For me, Phoenix behaves just the way I want. The few times I click on links from other programs, it opens a new window instead of a tab, but I'm fine with that. It actually helps me distinguishing the sites I'm visiting.

So if you ask me (which you didn't), I'd say it's called tabbed browsing <i>extension</i> for a reason. That goes for both Mozilla and Phoenix.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

I excessively use some of the TBE features, but the extension concept is OK for me. Exposing one or the other pref more that's already built into Moz/Phoenix in Tools > Preferences would be nice, but I think Phoenix doesn't need the ballast of additional built-in features that not everybody uses. Keep it as slim as it is, that's what convinced a lot of people who were disappointed with Mozilla to give Gecko another chance.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

asa wrote:
alanjstr wrote:
Faux Pass wrote:
alanjstr wrote:

Yep. Sounds like a plan to me. Let's build in every feature from every extension. Yay! And then we can build in a email client and an html composer. Why stop there when we can integrate a chat client and a word processor? What's stopping us from adding a graphics editor and an dvd player. Woo-hoo! Wny not submit feature requests for all of that?

--Asa

That's not what I meant. But there are a few core features like single-window and tabs on the bottom that would be nice. And I suggested it for Mozilla, not Phoenix. You Phoenix guys have enough to do as it is. Who knows, maybe other people will agree. There's plenty of "IE has this" and "Opera has that" going on.