Firefox MSI install for corporate rollout (silent install)

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
marke

Post by marke »

this will be firefox default installer in near future?
1chaoticadult

Post by 1chaoticadult »

@mcm_ham try www.sitesled.com for hosting.
1chaoticadult

Post by 1chaoticadult »

I was wondering about restoring IE associations. Thanks for the registry entries, etc.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

this thread is fascinating -- just posting so I can keep track of it (sorry for the noise)

Help MozillaZine: Donate! or Buy Something!
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

FordP wrote:I tested the code I posted and it worked with attributes = 18

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EC8030F7-C20A-464F-9B0E-13A3A9E97384}\ShellFolder]
"Attributes"=hex:18,00,00,00

But I'll test it with the value 24 to see what happens.

wig_out_on_me, good job on this I wouldn't have even thought of it but I think it should be a welcome addition.

Ah.. the only reason I was not using it was the lack of 'delete'
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

vfwlkr - A value of 30 will give you rename, delete, and create shortcut at the bottom of the context menu.
Waldo

Post by Waldo »

zachariah wrote:this thread is fascinating -- just posting so I can keep track of it (sorry for the noise)

As an FYI, you can click the "Watch this thread" link (or whatever it's called) at the way bottom of the page to subscribe to the thread without posting. (sorry also for the noise, but with this post I'm hoping to mitigate it in the future)
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

1chaoticadult wrote:@mcm_ham try www.sitesled.com for hosting.
I was wondering about restoring IE associations. Thanks for the registry entries, etc.

Thanks for the tip about the hosting site it looks great, unfortunately they block all these IP addresses (202.*, 210.*, 218.* - 223.*) which affects me, it means I have to go to varsity to be on an internet provider that is not being blocked.

As for the registry entries a good start is to look in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Desktop, usually when Firefox is used to set itself as default browser it backs up all the previous values to the location, if no previous values existed then what Firefox created them as is stored there.
1chaoticadult

Post by 1chaoticadult »

@mct_ham
Sorry that sitesled is blocking ip addresses that affect you. Also I know what you mean about Mozilla\Desktop. Initially those are the entries I used in my installer which worked fine but your script helped fine a cleaner way of installing Firefox.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

I was meaning for restoring IE associations on uninstall run under the Win9x machines. The method I talked about previously works well for WinXP but for Win9x you'll need to create a reg file and run regedit /s refile.reg. Note the REGEDIT4 signature that will need to be at the top of the file and copy across to notepad and save to avoid the problems OldTimer had on Win9x. Inno Setup has a method under properties for an item to limit it to a particular operating system. I'll probably update my sample script later to include when I get home with what I'm using.

NB: Loving the new hosting site, much much better then the old one along with a decent forum to boot. Thanks heaps 1chaoticadult. :mrgreen:
1chaoticadult

Post by 1chaoticadult »

@mct_ham
I knew what you were talking about. I'm not worried about win9x at the moment and I probably won't. No offense to win9x users. Anyway I'm glad I could help out with the hosting though.
smartcat99s

Post by smartcat99s »

What about WiX, http://sourceforge.net/projects/wix, I tried it and it worked well, only have to maintain XML file, and can be automated
It would probably take a long time to create the initial script, but after that, it should be easy
Folding for a cure - Stats - Team 11108
tankado

Post by tankado »

hello i just downloaded the firefox msi files

my question is how do i silently intall the flash player ???
DraconPern

Post by DraconPern »

tankado wrote:hello i just downloaded the firefox msi files

my question is how do i silently intall the flash player ???

It is installed automatically during silently installs.
-Eric Kuo
FrontMotion Login, Firefox MSI, and other software at www.frontmotion.com
Hello Lubbock, Texas!
tankado

Post by tankado »

DraconPern

thank u for the quick reply, I just discovered themes as well how do i silently install themes?