Select text -> go to webpage feature

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
sandman

Select text -> go to webpage feature

Post by sandman »

I find it very annoying that a lot of people refer to websites without actually linking to the website. If i want to go to the website, i have to select the address, copy, and paste in the address bar...
try for yourself and surf to this one: </a>http://tarentel.theredtide.net/news/

btw: thanks for Phoenix! It rocks!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sandman, not a complete solution for you, but you can highlight the URL and drag it to the address bar, or to a new tab.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Just highlight a non-linked URL on a page by double-clicking and drag it to an existing tab to open it there or to an empty space on the tab bar to open it in a new tab.

Because of a default pref which is sub-optimal for this purpose double-clicking will not always work perfectly. To improve Phoenix' behaviour, add the following line to user.js in your profile dir (create the file if it doesn't exist) and restart your browser (or exit the browser and edit prefs.js accordingly):

user_pref("layout.word_select.eat_space_to_next_word", false);
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

There is a bookmarklet that will do just that at http://www.bookmarklets.com/tools/navig ... ndex.phtml but I don't know if it works with Phoenix.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

alanjstr wrote:There is a bookmarklet that will do just that at http://www.bookmarklets.com/tools/navig ... ndex.phtml but I don't know if it works with Phoenix.

It does.
Robert W

Post by Robert W »

alanjstr wrote:There is a bookmarklet that will do just that at http://www.bookmarklets.com/tools/navig ... ndex.phtml but I don't know if it works with Phoenix.

When did Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V become so difficult? I would not expect the developers of Phoenix to spend time on something that was so frivolous. I felt the same way about the 'www.-----.com' completion feature, but that is a whole other story. I know we are all lazy but I think convenience gets take to extremes at times.

-Robert W.
chrisMage

Or...

Post by chrisMage »

Customize the toolbar in phoenix, and add the "Go" button somewhere to your toolbar, and then you can select an un-linked URL and drag it to the go button.

Am I the only one who thought of that? :)
../frank

Post by ../frank »

Thanks <b>Nate</b> and <b>laszlo</b> for the tip about dragging a URL to an empty spot on the tab bar. 8)

Ctrl+C, Ctrl+L, Ctrl+V, Enter work fine, too, but sometimes ya just gotta wade through the gooey stuff.
../frank
My avatar cat, Mr. Gary Gray, passed away on 17 Oct 2013. RIP Gary! :cry:
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

Nate wrote:Sandman, not a complete solution for you, but you can highlight the URL and drag it to the address bar, or to a new tab.

That's a great feature, but I find it doesn't always work ... in fact, I tried it just now with the link Sandman gave, and dragging that up into the tab bar did nothing ... a bug, or did I unintentionally turn it off somehow?

(Gosh, a forum where you can actually go back and edit your own messages!)

BTW, dragging it onto the Go button did work, it was just the tab bar that didn't (dang!) ...
shimage

Post by shimage »

Robert W wrote:

When did Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V become so difficult? I would not expect the developers of Phoenix to spend time on something that was so frivolous. I felt the same way about the 'www.-----.com' completion feature, but that is a whole other story. I know we are all lazy but I think convenience gets take to extremes at times.

-Robert W.

it's a pain when i don't have a hand on the keyboard. which is pretty much whenever i'm using my mouse... i could probably "train" myself to leave my hand there, but i'd have to conciously think about keeping it there... personally, i use pie menus, so it always works, and i don't even bother to drag anything anywhere.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

shoestring wrote:That's a great feature, but I find it doesn't always work ... in fact, I tried it just now with the link Sandman gave, and dragging that up into the tab bar did nothing ... a bug, or did I unintentionally turn it off somehow?

I guess you're experiencing the sub-optimal behaviour I already talked about. Dragging to the tab bar is very sensitive to spaces at the end of the dragged URL. That's why I suggested the pref change to simplify double-click highlighting for Windows user (it's already the default in Linux).

Dragging it to the Go button on the other hand seems to strip trailing spaces. I don't know why this isn't similarly implemented for dragging to the tab bar.
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

laszlo wrote:
shoestring wrote:That's a great feature, but I find it doesn't always work ... in fact, I tried it just now with the link Sandman gave, and dragging that up into the tab bar did nothing ... a bug, or did I unintentionally turn it off somehow?

I guess you're experiencing the sub-optimal behaviour I already talked about. Dragging to the tab bar is very sensitive to spaces at the end of the dragged URL. That's why I suggested the pref change to simplify double-click highlighting for Windows user (it's already the default in Linux).

Dragging it to the Go button on the other hand seems to strip trailing spaces. I don't know why this isn't similarly implemented for dragging to the tab bar.

You got it. Your pref change worked fine. Thanks :!:
flii

Post by flii »

awesome, i didn't even think about draggin to the go button (which i have always liked having anyway), but i should have. thanks!! that really helps.
Ted Mielczarek

Select text -> go to url

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

FWIW, I poked around the Phoenix XUL/JS to see if I could make this an extension, and I'm not sure it's possible. The way the context menus are implemented, all possible items are listed in one popup, and then a JS class calls some methods to show or hide the various items depending on what you right clicked on. Because of this, adding new menu items to the list would require hijacking part of that JS class, which I'm not sure how to do. Could just be my limited knowledge of JS though, so feel free to correct me.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I'm certain it's possible - there are numerous small extensions which add small extra context menu functionality already. Rooting around the extensions on Phoenix Help might help.

- Chris