Redirect new windows into tabs

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
SirOmega

Redirect new windows into tabs

Post by SirOmega »

Is it possible to have a setting in the preferences that, by default, whenever a link is to open in a new window, open it in a tab instead?? If this is already possible, my appologies, I'm new to Phoenix (but I must say its now become my browser of choice).
daihard
Folder@Home

Re: Redirect new windows into tabs

Post by daihard »

SirOmega wrote:Is it possible to have a setting in the preferences that, by default, whenever a link is to open in a new window, open it in a tab instead?? If this is already possible, my appologies, I'm new to Phoenix (but I must say its now become my browser of choice).

While not by default, you can open a link in a new tab in two ways. First, 'ctrl + click' will open it in a new tab on the background. Second, 'ctrl + shift + click' will do that with the new tab on the foreground.
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

There's also a pref to open new windows in tabs exclusively (I guess that's what you want):

user_pref("browser.block.target_new_window", true);
asa

Post by asa »

SirOmega wrote:Is it possible to have a setting in the preferences that, by default, whenever a link is to open in a new window, open it in a tab instead?? If this is already possible, my appologies, I'm new to Phoenix (but I must say its now become my browser of choice).

Before posting a comment it's a good idea to read or search through the forums so as not to repeat a thread that already happened. This has been discussed several times in the Phoenix and Mozilla forums.

--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

laszlo wrote:There's also a pref to open new windows in tabs exclusively (I guess that's what you want):

This seems to force the link to open in the same tab instead of in a new tab. I set this option and clicked on a link that usually opens up a new window. The page now opens in the same tab.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

daihard wrote:
laszlo wrote:There's also a pref to open new windows in tabs exclusively (I guess that's what you want):

This seems to force the link to open in the same tab instead of in a new tab. I set this option and clicked on a link that usually opens up a new window. The page now opens in the same tab.

Yes, you're right. The only way to force new windows to go into new tabs instead still seems to be to install the Tabbrowser Extensions.
shimage

Post by shimage »

daihard wrote:

While not by default, you can open a link in a new tab in two ways. First, 'ctrl + click' will open it in a new tab on the background. Second, 'ctrl + shift + click' will do that with the new tab on the foreground.

what os are you running? i only ask 'cause this isn't workin for me (the ctrl+shift+click)...
nov 30 nightly on win2k
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

shimage wrote:
daihard wrote:While not by default, you can open a link in a new tab in two ways. First, 'ctrl + click' will open it in a new tab on the background. Second, 'ctrl + shift + click' will do that with the new tab on the foreground.

what os are you running? i only ask 'cause this isn't workin for me (the ctrl+shift+click)...
nov 30 nightly on win2k

Sorry, it should've read 'alt + ctrl + click' for the new tab on the foreground. I hope it works for Win2K as well. I'm using 20021128 on RedHat Linux 7.3.
Last edited by daihard on December 1st, 2002, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
shimage

Post by shimage »

bah humbug. that doesn't work either. oh well, thanks for the tip anyway. (!@#$ windows...)
Toxikk

Post by Toxikk »

he means... say you open a *.html file on your pc... it would be sweet if it went into its own tab in an already open phoenix browser.

well... wtf. i just did it and it worked for me. hmmmmmmmmmm... im stumped.