Block images from this server enhancement?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Abiku

Block images from this server enhancement?

Post by Abiku »

I'm not sure if this is something that could/should be filed as an official RFE, so I wanted to get somebody else's opinion first.

When I first made the switch to Phoenix a few weeks ago, I went nuts with the the ability to block images and cookies from various sites. Without giving it much thought, I'd assumed that Phoenix wouldn't even attempt to load the images from the blocked servers, but you know what they say about assumptions...

Would it be possible to modify the "block images" behavior to not even attempt to contact or load the image when the server has been blocked by the user in the past? It's highly irritating when pages don't complete loading because of a slow ad server that I've already blocked.

In a slightly related vein, how hard would it be to allow users to also block, say, Flash ads the same way? (I realize this may be a bit more difficult, because Flash takes over right-clicks by default.) At the very least, maybe give the user the ability to manually block sites that haven't been visited yet through a preferences menu? That would let us be proactive, but also get around the problem of right-clicks being taken over by plugins.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Abiku

Post by Abiku »

I should probably pay more attention to the new forums before making my posts... I guess the flash ad aspect has already been covered in another thread. My bad. The rest still seems to be a "new" thread, though.