Dropdown Theme menu

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
ehume

Dropdown Theme menu

Post by ehume »

Since Phoenix/Firebird can change themes in a second, I would like to see an optional dropdown menu for themes.

Just as there are buttons for history, favorites, etc. that can be put up on the menu bar or on a toolbar from View > Toolbars > Customize, a Themes button could also be available. Clicking on this button would cause a dropdown menu to appear, with only the names of the available themes (if you need to see the pictures, go to Tools > Preferences >Themes). From the dropdown menu you could choose your theme for instant change.

This would allow you to change themes for various websites.

Eventually I predict that we will have an option for associating various themes with various websites. Farther in the future, I suspect that as broadband becomes closer to universal, website developers will provide custom themes that will automatically take over when we visit their sites (subject to a custom-theme-blocker, of course).

Ed
alanjstr

Re: Dropdown Theme menu

Post by alanjstr »

ehume wrote:Since Phoenix/Firebird can change themes in a second, I would like to see an optional dropdown menu for themes.

Just as there are buttons for history, favorites, etc. that can be put up on the menu bar or on a toolbar from View > Toolbars > Customize, a Themes button could also be available. Clicking on this button would cause a dropdown menu to appear, with only the names of the available themes (if you need to see the pictures, go to Tools > Preferences >Themes). From the dropdown menu you could choose your theme for instant change.

This would allow you to change themes for various websites.

Eventually I predict that we will have an option for associating various themes with various websites. Farther in the future, I suspect that as broadband becomes closer to universal, website developers will provide custom themes that will automatically take over when we visit their sites (subject to a custom-theme-blocker, of course).

Ed

Well, someone can write an extension for changing themes.

Unfortunately, I see allowing websites to control my browser theme as a big security risk. Not just that, but the method for theming varies from browser to browser.

Personally, I picked a single theme I really liked (Pinball updated by David James) and have stuck with that.
ehume

Re: Dropdown Theme menu

Post by ehume »

alanjstr wrote:[Personally, I picked a single theme I really liked (Pinball updated by David James) and have stuck with that.

I used to do that, but with the variety of beautiful themes we have in Phoenix, and iwth the ability to change on the fly, I can't resist.

Ed
fishman

Post by fishman »

Just checked and found I could change a theme in 5 mouse clicks, using the quick prefs extension. Total time consumed ... trivial!
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

It means adding a menu item, for a start. I see theming as a nice bonus in using XUL for the user interface: I don't see my browser as being 'skinned' like Winamp where the actual panel is the focus of my attention.

Having said that, i think a few people would want this: have they ironed out the kinks in hot-switching skins yet in the latest build?

- Chris
ehume

Post by ehume »

thumperward wrote:have they ironed out the kinks in hot-switching skins yet in the latest build?

Mostly. There is a minor issue or two, but it's usable as-is.

Ed
djst

Soon to be WONTFIX'ed

Post by djst »

Just a note to let everyone know that ehume has already filed a rfe for this.

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=182888

I find this "enhancement" completely useless. The average user will <i>not</i> switch themes every other minute, so this is really an overkill. Yes, I switch themes every day, but I'm not an average user!
Zaphod

Re: Soon to be WONTFIX'ed

Post by Zaphod »

djst wrote:I find this "enhancement" completely useless. The average user will <i>not</i> switch themes every other minute, so this is really an overkill.

I agree. There is no need to have an quick access for changing themes. Most people will use one theme (maybe sometimes they will test another). I think there is no need to get an simpler option.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

It's present in whatever Mozilla build I was using the other day IIRC. Extension time methinks.

- Chris
cdn

Post by cdn »

is anyone using ex-Phoenix an average user ? : )
djst

Post by djst »

cdn wrote:is anyone using ex-Phoenix an average user ? : )

Yes. Soon. :)