Not close without prompt?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
asa

Post by asa »

johnh123 wrote:So: where do we go from here? Is this a bug, a feature request, or what?

It behaves as designed.

--Asa
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

asa wrote:
johnh123 wrote:So: where do we go from here? Is this a bug, a feature request, or what?

It behaves as designed.

--Asa

I guess it's a feature request then :)

Closing the app when closing the last tab seems a bit aqward.
It's not consistent neighter within the app (close tab icon doesn't kill app) nor with any other abbed app I'm familear with (Opera, Excel, UltraEdit ...)

Never use the keyboard shortcut myself though, so I'll leave it to someone else to file the bug :)
ehume

Post by ehume »

It seems to me to be a matter of expectation raised by the interface. If your last tab gets hidden, then you would only see an app window. At that point, closing the last tab would clearly be equivalent to closing the app.

OTOH, If the last tab is not hidden, closing it down raises the expectation that the action (closing the tab) should be local: you expect the app to stay up.

That's using the mouse. John123 uses his keyboard. I don't look at the screen when I type, so if I closed tabs the way he does, I would miss the visual cue that I am down to my last tab, and experience unexpected app-closure.

He is asking for a change in the way PX behaves.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

This looks scarily, horribly like it's about to turn into another holy war vis a vis closing multiple windows.

All I'm going to say is that TBE has functionality to keep the window open when all tabs are individually closed, should that behaviour be required, and it's at least meant to have an option to warn you if you try and close the browser window with more than one tab open.

- Chris
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

thumperward wrote:All I'm going to say is that TBE has functionality to keep the window open when all tabs are individually closed, should that behaviour be required, and it's at least meant to have an option to warn you if you try and close the browser window with more than one tab open.

- Chris

I believe the OP is asking 'ctrl + W' to do nothing when there's only one tab left, or at least warn you if you mean to close the entire window. Right now, the 'ctrl + W' combination serves two purposes; one to close the current tab and the other to close the entire window, depending upon the number of open tabs on your window. Having one function do two things isn't a very good idea, even if the behaviour is defined that way.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Funny how you could quote the second paragraph without even reading the first. This was discussed over circa a thousand pages little over a week ago, let it die already.

- Chris
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

thumperward wrote:Funny how you could quote the second paragraph without even reading the first. This was discussed over circa a thousand pages little over a week ago, let it die already.

- Chris

I did read the first paragraph, but I don't think it was about the same topic. In fact, I believe I was in that discussion. That discussion, about closing the app with multiple windows open, is not the same as NOT closing the entire window accidentally by using the function that's supposed to only close a tab. There you were against the idea of reviving the 'ctrl + Q' option, weren't you?
scratch

Post by scratch »

daihard wrote:
thumperward wrote:All I'm going to say is that TBE has functionality to keep the window open when all tabs are individually closed, should that behaviour be required, and it's at least meant to have an option to warn you if you try and close the browser window with more than one tab open.

- Chris

I believe the OP is asking 'ctrl + W' to do nothing when there's only one tab left, or at least warn you if you mean to close the entire window. Right now, the 'ctrl + W' combination serves two purposes; one to close the current tab and the other to close the entire window, depending upon the number of open tabs on your window. Having one function do two things isn't a very good idea, even if the behaviour is defined that way.

ctrl + w has closed the window forever, and I really like the way it works now. Maybe they could add a new shortcut that will just close the tab and not close the window (i wouldn't use it but i can see how some people might), but I definitely want ctrl + w to stay the way it is (close tab if tabs, otherwise close window).
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

scratch wrote:ctrl + w has closed the window forever, and I really like the way it works now. Maybe they could add a new shortcut that will just close the tab and not close the window (i wouldn't use it but i can see how some people might), but I definitely want ctrl + w to stay the way it is (close tab if tabs, otherwise close window).

I can see how some users prefer using 'ctrl + W' to close the window as well as the current tab. On the other hand, I personally like to use one shortcut key combination to do one thing. I've customised Phoenix so 'ctrl + Q' close Phoenix entirely, so if 'ctrl + W' would only close the currently open tab, then I could use those two functions perfectly distinctively.
johnh123

Post by johnh123 »

Actually, I use Strokeit for mouse gestures, and I have a gesture that does ctrl + w to close tabs. I'm not using the keyboard directly, but I guess indirectly. I'm just used to the behavior with MyIE2, Opera, etc, that the whole window won't close. However, this isn't a religious issue for me. If TBE worked the way it says it works, it wouldn't be a problem.
../frank

Post by ../frank »

I agree with <b>scratch</b>.

Back in the old days Ctrl+W was for "Close Window". It's really nice that in its new incarnation as "Close Tab" the default action is to close the window when there's only one tab. And I think it's "imminently logical" to exit the application when closing the last window.
../frank
My avatar cat, Mr. Gary Gray, passed away on 17 Oct 2013. RIP Gary! :cry:
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

../frank wrote:And I think it's "imminently logical" to exit the application when closing the last window.

Yes, that is true.

The problem is that closing the last tab (ctrl+w) also closes the window (which normally is shift+ctrl+w), and that is a bit unexpected behaviour, especially if it happens to be the last window, which will put you back at the desktop going WTF?!?

Apparently though it seems like some people like it this way, so my suggestion for a compromise would be.

* closing the last tab with ctrl+w does NOT close the window.
* an additional ctrl+w in a window with no open tabs closes the window (and if it's the last window it clses the app).

This would remove the unexpected close app behaviour while still alowing people that want the app to close to still do that by simply pressing ctrl+w an additional time.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Stefan wrote:* closing the last tab with ctrl+w does NOT close the window.
* an additional ctrl+w in a window with no open tabs closes the window (and if it's the last window it clses the app).

That's a workable solution for me.

Dai
../frank

Post by ../frank »

You don't hear me whining that they changed Ctrl+W to mean "close tab" then added Shift+Ctrl+W to mean "close window".

I can adapt to whatever shortcut they want to put on it and remember the boundary conditions as long as it isn't in direct conflict with other established standards. It's a shame more folks can't.
../frank
My avatar cat, Mr. Gary Gray, passed away on 17 Oct 2013. RIP Gary! :cry:
johnh123

Post by johnh123 »

I am told that Piro will be adding an -option- in future versions of TBE to stop ctrl w from closing the window when the last tab closes.