Profile Manager

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Nostromo

Profile Manager

Post by Nostromo »

Hello!
Will be possible in a future release of "Phoenix" to add a Profile Manager in the Tools|Settings Menu?
I found out this hidden feature by chance, scrolling through old posted messages.
I also had to struggle a bit to understand how to activate it.. I am not a programmer, but a simple end user.
I find this feature very useful (especially if password protected) -- therefore I am quite sure that a lot of people would love to know that "Phoenix" allows different users/configurations.
Thanks for the great work!
djst

Re: Profile Manager

Post by djst »

Nostromo wrote:Hello!
Will be possible in a future release of "Phoenix" to add a Profile Manager in the Tools|Settings Menu?
I found out this hidden feature by chance, scrolling through old posted messages.
I also had to struggle a bit to understand how to activate it.. I am not a programmer, but a simple end user.
I find this feature very useful (especially if password protected) -- therefore I am quite sure that a lot of people would love to know that "Phoenix" allows different users/configurations.
Thanks for the great work!

The feature is not really hidden. It's just that there's no shortcuts created when "installing" Phoenix. By using the unofficial installers, the Profile Manager will become very obvious. Look for the link in my sig for more info.
scratch

Post by scratch »

I kind of don't think so, because the profile manager can't be used properly when phoenix is already open and using a profile.
spaceman

Post by spaceman »

I also struggled initially to find Profile Manager.

So for the benefit of others:

http://texturizer.net/phoenix/faq.html#1.10

Phoenix stores your personal settings, such as the cache and your web form data, in a profile folder. The Profile Manager is used to manage multiple profiles but can also be used to start Phoenix in offline browsing mode. To start the Profile Manager, run Phoenix with the -ProfileManager switch. On Windows, follow these steps:

Close Phoenix completely (select File > Exit from the menu).
Select Start > Run... from the Windows Start menu.
Enter the full path to Phoenix, enclosed with quotation marks, then add the -ProfileManager switch, e.g.:
"C:\Program Files\Phoenix\phoenix.exe" -ProfileManager
Once started, you are able to add, remove or rename profiles. Note that if you have more than one profile, you will be asked which profile to use each time you start Phoenix.