how to put mozilla linking to a email client?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

David James wrote:Elementary my dear daihard, elementary. From the command line (remember that? :) ), I typed

Code: Select all

kmail --help

and a multitude of helpful info flooded my console (or rather, konsole).

I admit I completely missed the "--subject" option, but the help information doesn't show you anything about the formatting chars, such as %a and %s. :cry:
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
David James

Post by David James »

daihard wrote:
David James wrote:Elementary my dear daihard, elementary. From the command line (remember that? :) ), I typed

kmail --help

and a multitude of helpful info flooded my console (or rather, konsole).

I admit I completely missed the "--subject" option, but the help information doesn't show you anything about the formatting chars, such as %a and %s. :cry:

The %a and %s are supplied by mozex, not anything to do with kmail. What kmail wants is

/usr/bin/kmail --subject <subject> <address>

What mozex does is that it essentially says that <subject>=%s and <address>=%a
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

David James wrote:The %a and %s are supplied by mozex, not anything to do with kmail.

Ah, that's what I did not realize. I just guessed %a because, well, "address" starts with an 'a.' How else could you have gotten it? Is there a README for Mozex?
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

I got mail links in FB to open up in TB (am running Win XP) a few days ago. I don't think I've changed any settings at all, and now it doesn't want to work.

What I find a little odd is the behavior on this page http://www.erebusarchive.com

If you click the "Profiles/Contact" link, you will find an email link at the bottom of the page. There is also an email link on the banner at the top of the page.

On clicking the link at the TOP, TB opens up a compose window. However, the link below results in an error message (pretty long):
Send email (mailto) cannot run executable [path]
[exception ..... component returned failure code 0x80520001]

The error message contains NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH.

I took this to mean that there was a problem with the path, and checked the path multiple times. I also tried many combinations of -mail, -compose, mailto: etc.

Can somebody please:
1. explain why the banner link works and not the text link below
2. give me the exact syntax for Mozex, for Windows

Thanks!

p.s: Is there anyway to upload a screenshot?
DonPete

Post by DonPete »

daihard wrote:I just guessed %a because, well, "address" starts with an 'a.' How else could you have gotten it? Is there a README for Mozex?

Mozex has a page detailing all of the arguments here.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

DonPete wrote:
daihard wrote:I just guessed %a because, well, "address" starts with an 'a.' How else could you have gotten it? Is there a README for Mozex?

Mozex has a page detailing all of the arguments here.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

I got mail links in FB to open up in TB (am running Win XP) a few days ago. I don't think I've changed any settings at all, and now it doesn't want to work.

What I find a little odd is the behavior on this page http://www.erebusarchive.com

If you click the "Profiles/Contact" link, you will find an email link at the bottom of the page. There is also an email link on the banner at the top of the page.

On clicking the link at the TOP, TB opens up a compose window. However, the link below results in an error message (pretty long):
Send email (mailto) cannot run executable [path]
[exception ..... component returned failure code 0x80520001]

The error message contains NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH.

I took this to mean that there was a problem with the path, and checked the path multiple times. I also tried many combinations of -mail, -compose, mailto: etc.

Can somebody please:

Thanks!
DonPete

Post by DonPete »

Mystic wrote:Can somebody please:

The bottom link works fine for me. However, the top link won't work for me, because Mozex apparently doesn't intercept href's from <map> tags (it doesn't show up in the context menu, either).
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

I have mozex setup only to intercept mailto: clicks, but the top link works just great. I can't get regular mailto: links on other pages to fire TB up.

DonPete, could you tell me what you've entered in the mailer command field?
DonPete

Post by DonPete »

Mystic wrote:DonPete, could you tell me what you've entered in the mailer command field?

I have Mozex run a shell script that then runs Thunderbird. I couldn't tell you how to set it up on Windows.

If you really want to know, this is what i tell Mozex to run:

/home/donpete/bin/run-thunderbird.sh %a %s

where "thunderbird.sh" is essentially the script asterix posted here.
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

Thanks DonPete.

I'm using Windows though, and I'm trying to get this to work. I perhaps didn't install Mozex to my profile, though I think I did, and I guess the settings got corrupted or changed when I installed a new build of FB...it was working just right a week ago.

Could someone that's got TB to open on mailto: clicks in Windows please help me out?
mmodem

Post by mmodem »

hi daihard and asterix
regardin to thunderbird:
when i click in a link that is in a email inside thundebird, nothing happens, and if i write in a console the command thunderbird -compose then appears a smal Mozilla Thunderbird Profile -manager window asking that i have to choose or create a new profile to start it...

So i cant start to composea email if i click in a link inside e email that is in the thunderbird email client.

Neither wont start if i click in a email link inside konqueror, and i put thunderbord as the email client in KDE Control Panel.

Can you fiz this?
mmodem

Post by mmodem »

Why dont you start usinf Mozilla Firebird and Mozilla Thunderbird, and click in email clients inside thundrbird and inside firebird and clicking in normal links also inside in firebird and inside thunderbird, buit this with the both aplications running... then you can see all the problems that exist..and then maybe you can fix them...

Greetings

Ze
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

Just trying to revive this topic, hoping that those that know how to do this can help me:

Can somebody give me the exact syntax they used in the mailer command line in Mozex to get it to open up a compose window in Thunderbird with the address field filled.

I've gone through every solution posted in this forum, and I know the arguments to be used...but I can't get it to work. It'd be great if somebody could give me the exact line they used, so if that doesn't work for me I know there's something wrong with my installation.

Thank you.
martinf

Post by martinf »

well i've read every post on this thread and still can't get mozex to open thunderbird in Linux...any other ideas?