Samba filesharing support

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
AlfaOmega

Samba filesharing support

Post by AlfaOmega »

Samba support would be a very useful addon for me and other people , because now I still have to rely on IE to access filesharing. O_o
AFAIK Mozilla also hasn't got smb support, so this would be a nice way to make Phoenix (or whatever it is goig to be called in the future ^__^) a little different and more user friendly than Mozilla.
And it would enable me to get rid of IE permanently so it would really be a help.
(btw if there already is a smb plugin for phoenix, please give me a kick under my ass and pass me the link of the plugin) ^__~
I Am The Alpha, I Am The Omega, I Am All.
alanjstr

Re: Samba filesharing support

Post by alanjstr »

AlfaOmega wrote:Samba support would be a very useful addon for me and other people , because now I still have to rely on IE to access filesharing. O_o
AFAIK Mozilla also hasn't got smb support, so this would be a nice way to make Phoenix (or whatever it is goig to be called in the future ^__^) a little different and more user friendly than Mozilla.
And it would enable me to get rid of IE permanently so it would really be a help.
(btw if there already is a smb plugin for phoenix, please give me a kick under my ass and pass me the link of the plugin) ^__~

Samba is an OS issue, not a web browser issue. What exactly are you trying to do, browse the LAN?
AlfaOmega

Re: Samba filesharing support

Post by AlfaOmega »

alanjstr wrote:Samba is an OS issue, not a web browser issue. What exactly are you trying to do, browse the LAN?

Well, Yeah... i'm sorry that the question didn't ask what i wanted to, but browsing the LAN is indeed what I want to do
i'd like to see a way that i can use "smb://" in Phoenix (like "\\<computername> in windows). And yes i know that Samba is an OS issue, but accessing samba shares is not.
mikelee

Post by mikelee »

It's still an OS issue in my opinion. What you want is to browse the file system, smb should be transparently managed by the OS.
AlfaOmega

Post by AlfaOmega »

[quote="mikelee" smb should be transparently managed by the OS.[/quote]

Well, the problem is... windows doesn't (and don't go bleating "then use linux" I KNOW :|, but this should be a general feature in a way that newbies (who normally don't use linux) can use it in windows... And furthermore, it's far more easy to use windows than Linux here...

I'll rephrase my question
I want to get to the shared part of other computers on the lan here. Using Windows, but NOT using any other microsoft products but still integrated in one webbrowser.

Oprea supports it... why does Phoenix/Mozilla not?
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

AlfaOmega wrote:[quote="mikelee" smb should be transparently managed by the OS.

Well, the problem is... windows doesn't (and don't go bleating "then use linux" I KNOW :|, but this should be a general feature in a way that newbies (who normally don't use linux) can use it in windows... And furthermore, it's far more easy to use windows than Linux here...

I'll rephrase my question
I want to get to the shared part of other computers on the lan here. Using Windows, but NOT using any other microsoft products but still integrated in one webbrowser.

Oprea supports it... why does Phoenix/Mozilla not?[/quote]

Sounds like an RFE for Mozilla. Go file it and let them decide.
chrisMage

Phoenix isn't a file manager

Post by chrisMage »

Phoenix is a browser, not a file manager, not a toaster. Adding SMB support would just bloat it, and nobody wants that. It won't hurt you to use Explorer for browsing your various filesystems.

But then again, all the cool kids are anti-microsoft...
alanjstr

Re: Phoenix isn't a file manager

Post by alanjstr »

chrisMage wrote:Phoenix is a browser, not a file manager, not a toaster. Adding SMB support would just bloat it, and nobody wants that. It won't hurt you to use Explorer for browsing your various filesystems.

But then again, all the cool kids are anti-microsoft...

Yes, but what about on Linux? If you're able to browse local files via Mozilla, I don't see why not LAN drives.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Because it's a browser designed for viewing HTML, not as a completely superfluous extra file browser?

- Chris