Want IE imported bookmarks to be stored in one place

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
jimbawb

Want IE imported bookmarks to be stored in one place

Post by jimbawb »

So that if I add a bookmark in Phoenix it updates IE immediately, and vice versa. Importing is of extremely limited value.
Stefan

Re: Want IE imported bookmarks to be stored in one place

Post by Stefan »

jimbawb wrote:So that if I add a bookmark in Phoenix it updates IE immediately, and vice versa. Importing is of extremely limited value.

If you want to use Gecko and IE borwser at the same time, I would suggest you try K_meleon, which has this very feature you are looking for (AFAIK, I never use IE for bookmarking so I havn't really checked).

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/
ehume

Post by ehume »

[quote="Stefan"If you want to use Gecko and IE borwser at the same time, I would suggest you try K_meleon, which has this very feature you are looking for (AFAIK, I never use IE for bookmarking so I havn't really checked).

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/[/quote]

If K-Meleon has the feature, then perhaps Phoenix, down the road a piece . . .
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

ehume wrote:If K-Meleon has the feature, then perhaps Phoenix, down the road a piece . . .

K-Mel uses it's own bookmarking system and happily use IE, Opera and NS bookmarks, so it's not really compatible.

Of cource someone could code a similar extension to Phoenix :)
flii

Post by flii »

Stefan wrote:K-Mel uses it's own bookmarking system and happily use IE, Opera and NS bookmarks, so it's not really compatible.

Of cource someone could code a similar extension to Phoenix :)

i would love the person who did this. you'd have my undying gratitude for ever and ever amen.
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

jimbawb wrote:So that if I add a bookmark in Phoenix it updates IE immediately, and vice versa. Importing is of extremely limited value.

Phoenix and IE use completely different formats. IE has a "favorites" folder, in which each bookmark is a separate file. Phoenix uses a single file of bookmarks.

As a convenience for those who are switching from IE to Ph, when Ph is started without a bookmark file it will attempt to import from the IE favorites. Once that has been done, there is no further connection between the two.
flii

Post by flii »

Neil Parks wrote:when Ph is started without a bookmark file it will attempt to import from the IE favorites. Once that has been done, there is no further connection between the two.

yes i know. i've messed with both browser's version of favorites. however, i do think it would be possible to go back and forth between the two using an outside program/extension. it would just take time and knowledge, and i not only don't have knowledge of how to do this, final are next week and i have no time. *sigh* i'll trade places with one of you! :-P