Saving bookmarks

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Sir Rufus

Saving bookmarks

Post by Sir Rufus »

I don't like the way Phoenix displays all your folders when you add a bookmark....it's too cluttered. It would be better if it began with a nested list, then allowed you to expand to see subfolders. Not sure if this would work with the current dropdown menu arrangement.

Great browser, love the speed!
Disreali

Post by Disreali »

I agree. Trying to save a bookmark takes to long and is complicated. Is it just the design of the feature or XUL UI that is slowing it down? Why not just use the standard Mozilla bookmark features?
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

Disreali wrote:I agree. Trying to save a bookmark takes to long and is complicated. Is it just the design of the feature or XUL UI that is slowing it down? Why not just use the standard Mozilla bookmark features?

I'd like to see a few changes there too. Agreed, it's way too slow. Agreed, it can be confusing, especially for someone like me with a huge bookmark file and lots of folders. Ideally, what I'd like to see is:

new bookmark always adds to designated folder (a la NS4) unless explicitly added elsewhere.

OK, that more or less happens ... eventually ... as long as you don't go adding bookmarks to other folders. IOW, the last folder added to becomes the default. Which can be useful under some circumstances but (to me) is more of a nuisance than a convenience.

I <I>think</I> the obvious solution is to have a button on the popup to immediately select the user's designated "add" folder if it isn't the one already displayed in the window there.

I find it most useful to always know where my new bookmarks are going; then I can move them where I want them at my leisure.

Of course, that's pretty awfully slow, too, but that's a different issue.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I like it this way. When I first migrated to IE from Navigator I thought the new bookmarking was annoying, but I find that taking a few seconds to (a) pick a proper name for the bookmark and (b) being able to shove it off of the root menu straight away helps a lot in the long run. Occasionally I still use NS4 and my accumulated bookmarks often straddle an entire page of my screen due to overzealous bookmarking.

Anyway, it only needs to be a single extra click. You don't bookmark that often that you grudge a single extra browser click, do you?

- Chris
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

thumperward wrote:Anyway, it only needs to be a single extra click. You don't bookmark that often that you grudge a single extra browser click, do you?

- Chris

Yep. I sure do. Not so much the click as the delay.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

shoestring wrote:Yep. I sure do. Not so much the click as the delay.

Well, just drag the favicon 1cm to your bookmarksbar then.
There's your 1 click bookmarking.
flii

Post by flii »

the adding bookmarks method could be better, but then again not everything is perfect. the feature i'd like to see happen is the ability to NOT have to use the manager to move your favorites around. i'd like to just be able to drag folders and files around when i click on the "bookmarks" in the menubar, like ie does. and *no* i don't want phoenix to become ie, for those that would say that. i'm simply saying it's a nice feature and i've mentioned before on the old forums.
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

Flii wrote:the adding bookmarks method could be better, but then again not everything is perfect. the feature i'd like to see happen is the ability to NOT have to use the manager to move your favorites around. i'd like to just be able to drag folders and files around when i click on the "bookmarks" in the menubar, like ie does. and *no* i don't want phoenix to become ie, for those that would say that. i'm simply saying it's a nice feature and i've mentioned before on the old forums.

I have no problem with that. But since I have 1.5 Mb of bookmarks (gathered over the last 7 years or so), I need to use the manager to manage them! So for my part, I'd just like to see the bookmark manager made as fast as, say, the one in NS 4.7 -- or even half as fast. (That includes the little where-does-the-bookmark-go popup.)
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Flii wrote:i'd like to just be able to drag folders and files around when i click on the "bookmarks" in the menubar, like ie does.

You can do it with files already, go try it. Folders are being worked on.

- Chris
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Yes, the bookmarks are generally pretty broken presently, but they will be fixed in time.