Give every element an ID

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
jasonl

Give every element an ID

Post by jasonl »

I put this up in the old phorum but before I could check for responses it closed down. So, I thought I would put it up here too.

I would love it if phoenix could give every button, menu, menu item, menu pop, etc. an ID. There are still a handful of items out there that don't have IDs (at least in Mozilla so I am assuming the same is true with phoenix). This isnt a major problem for most people but for those of us that are hacking the code with overlays, it would be nice to have. I have an add-on for mozilla that does this and with every new build or release I have to go back in and edit a bunch of files. I am planning on making my add-on work with phoenix but this feature would be nice since the version will be changing so much. I filed a bug with mozilla but it doesnt look like it will be resolved any time soon if ever. I would be willing to generate the list of items without ids and even give them ids if somebody designing phoenix would like me to. Thanks...

~Jason
clav

Post by clav »

Bug 170243 is kind of related to this
grayrest

Post by grayrest »

I'd like to see this as well. Advanced skins also need ids on stuff because there's no way to work around it with js.
John Angelico

Element IDs

Post by John Angelico »

THanks for putting this up Jason.

I am looking at this from a user angle too.

In NS4.61 on OS/2 I can identify Forms elements and build an app that feeds data into a form.

However, Moz and Phoenix don't have unique IDs for Form elements so I can't do that any more.

Since the site is critical to my business (credit card payments lodgement from my customers), I have to stay with NS4.61 just so I can feed data to the form.
Best regards
John Angelico
talldad@kepl.com.au
grayrest

Post by grayrest »

He's not talking about content area stuff having an id, he's referring to the chrome/skin. In phoenix the engine renders both the UI and the content. We'd like every chrome element to have an id, as this makes it much easier to do add-ons.
John Angelico

Element IDs

Post by John Angelico »

Yes, I realise that he was focussing on development and chromes/skins.

But I wanted to deliberately *add* my reference to the page content elements being uniquely addressable because I believe the same factors are involved, and there are user/developer/application benefits available there too.
Best regards
John Angelico
talldad@kepl.com.au
michel v

Post by michel v »

John, isn't that an issue with the page itself then?
John Angelico

Element IDs

Post by John Angelico »

Yes, I guess it is an issue with the page itself.

But it started as a question about addresssing all the elements in a Moz window, and the page itself is still a sub-class of all the upper level classes right up to the outermost frame.

Therefore I believe my question is related to the original post, because we are all wanting to identify/label/access elements of the entire window, albeit for different purposes.

So to summarise what I see as the essential questions:

1. Is this working as designed or is it a bug of some sort?

2. Do the designers of Moz/Phoenix intend us not to access elements within the overall frame?

3. How have they considered the two cases we have here:
a) addressing elements at the chrome level to simplify alternative skinning
b) addressing elements at the page/form level to be able to feed data into input fields
?

4. Are there any other aspects of the frame needing labels for accessing sub-elements?

HTH
Best regards
John Angelico
talldad@kepl.com.au
darksheer

Post by darksheer »

I may be off-base here, but for elements within the page, shouldn't the DOM handle this?