Backup tags with bookmarks

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
eblackwell

Backup tags with bookmarks

Post by eblackwell »

I've had problems with Firefox sync deleting bookmarks and had to go the .json backup files and html exports I had.

Sadly though, neither of these backup the tags for the bookmarks. I organize my bookmarks with folder, subfolders etc., but it still helps in searching for a particular one or going through a list to have the tags there to identify why this one is different from the others with it without having to expand on More. (Plus, Search doesn't search in the Description field.)

So now I am re-tagging hundreds if not thousands of booksmarks (not to mention find ones that are gone!).

Please back up the tags with the Backup and Export features.

Thanks!
the-edmeister

Re: Backup tags with bookmarks

Post by the-edmeister »

The bookmarks.html export and import feature just doesn't include Tags data, that file format is much older than the Tags feature.

The bookmarkbackup JSON files do include Tags data. Not sure why yours didn't restore.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Please back up the tags with the Backup and Export features.

You've been here for 7 years now... and based on that statement above... you think we have any control over what Mozilla includes in their software?
http://www.mozillazine.org/about/

With that said... this extension is a very good one for, more or less... auto-backing up of a number of data files in Firefox. Beyond its title... the user can include other files as part of its backing up process... plus the user can alter its .ini file to change how often it makes those backups... also, I have its output pointed to a special backup folder.

It won't stop any sync problem-issues but it will save you from what you are having to do right now.
Bookmark Backup - Pike's Mozilla Firefox Add-ons
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
eblackwell

Post by eblackwell »

the-edmeister wrote:The bookmarks.html export and import feature just doesn't include Tags data, that file format is much older than the Tags feature.

The bookmarkbackup JSON files do include Tags data. Not sure why yours didn't restore.

I know it includes under Children etc., but like I said and you noted, the Restore doesn't put the tags data back into bookmarks. So obviously it's a disconnect between the Backup and Restore functions which I would hope would get fixed.
eblackwell

Post by eblackwell »

[quote="dfoulkes"With that said... this extension is a very good one for, more or less... auto-backing up of a number of data files in Firefox. Beyond its title... the user can include other files as part of its backing up process... plus the user can alter its .ini file to change how often it makes those backups... also, I have its output pointed to a special backup folder.

It won't stop any sync problem-issues but it will save you from what you are having to do right now.
Bookmark Backup - Pike's Mozilla Firefox Add-ons[/quote]

I hesitate installing an extensions because that's the first thing everyone blames when you say you have an issue.

I have a problem with setting a desktop background from Firefox (I can do it from Windows and other browsers, only Firefox won't do it). Everyone blamed an extension. I did a clean install with my profile folder in another location and no extensions; Firefox still doesn't work and everyone in the Support forum still blamed extensions.

Firefox deleted bookmarks three different times in the past 6 months. Everyone on the Support forum blamed extensions; so I did the above and it still happened. Everyone still blamed extensions even though I don't have anymore regarding bookmarks. They even told me to stop using Sync because it's recorded as deleting bookmarks, but I need sync so I can access my desktop bookmarks on my tablet.

So I would rather Firefox fix the problems so it works properly. Or for Google Chrome to add the tags function to their bookmarks so I can give up Firefox.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I know that there seems to be sync issues around here... I don't use that stuff so I don't have problems... But, what I was suggesting was to give you a faster way to get back your data... not resolve the sync problem... because I don't know how long that will take.

Others have used this service for syncing bookmarks... but, I've also read about problems with it... worth a try?
http://www.xmarks.com/

BTW... I use over 45 extensions here and have had only minor issues... so, I'm not afraid of using any of them... as long as I maintain knowledge about them and what problems they might cause.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

eblackwell wrote:Please back up the tags with the Backup and Export features.

Backup and Restore already work that way (not Export and Import). Or they're supposed to. But I guess I'm telling what you already know.

Can you try the following and report back the results?
  1. Start Firefox in a new profile.
  2. Add some tags for the default bookmarks, “Help and Tutorials”, “Customize Firefox”, etc.
  3. Create a manual backup in JSON format.
  4. Delete some bookmarks.
  5. Import the backup you made earlier. Are the bookmarks restored along with their tags?
  6. Now try importing one of your own JSON backups that you made from your regular profile. Are the bookmarks restored along with their tags?
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

Gingerbread Man wrote:
eblackwell wrote:Please back up the tags with the Backup and Export features.

Backup and Restore already work that way (not Export and Import). Or they're supposed to. But I guess I'm telling what you already know.

I'm (a bit) shocked by what they are conspiring unbeknownst to us:apparently it really goes like that,a developer wakes up with the idea of nuking something he doesn't like/use,files a bug and -if no one is the wiser- that feature is out of the way...well,almost.This time someone more rational luckily stepped in at the end,but in the meantime smart folders are gone already from the bookmarks Library in the nightlies:what a nonsense,instead of unleashing the full potential of the bookmarks database (which would mean -IMHO- supporting tags in exported HTML bookmarks,allow the export of a single bookmark/bookmark folder,enhancing queries with advanced filtering criteria) they are pondering what they can take away from it.All of this possibly because someone believes that bookmarks are better managed by some external cloud service #-o
Caspid

Post by Caspid »

I made a symbolic link to my profile and stuck it in Dropbox so it auto-syncs.
"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." -Calvin