The new Search engine functions are AWFUL!

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
enigma9o7

Re: The new Search engine functions are AWFUL!

Post by enigma9o7 »

I'm annoyed about this for another reason - highlight text, right click, search.

Before, I could select the search engine from a drop down list, mouse or keyboard. Now, it's only possible with keyboard (control up/down) and have to go thru them one-at-a-time, no drop down list that one can type the first letter or click on directly.

Plus it no longer displays the currently selected search engine icon in the search bar, instead a magnifying glass. I see absolutely no point in that, they took away something that was useful to at least some people, replacing it with something that has no use at all. I understand sometimes people have different preferences, but this doesn't seem to be one of those things, I can't see any possible advantage for anyone by taking away that icon.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

And I cannot see any possible advantage in people coming here to complain about something that was coded a year ago by people who aren't us.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

enigma9o7 wrote:I'm annoyed about this for another reason - highlight text, right click, search.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... xt-search/
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Here's a UserStyle for the new Search Bar - that might solve some user complaints about it.
https://userstyles.org/styles/122214/fi ... firefox-43

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Thanks for that ED ... though the new search-bar stuff didn't bother me it's always nice to get back stuff like this with a simple fix.
Last edited by dfoulkes on December 26th, 2015, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Jefferson is working on some "fixes" to that User Style for users with a large number of Search Plugins installed, based upon my comment that I have 31 and couldn't see those below the 25th engine, the ones below that were off the screen (which is why I "only" have 31 now - lol - I didn't like scrolling in the old Search Bar scheme).

I think he'll either do smaller line spacing (which might negatively impact users with high resolution monitors) or adding a scroll bar to that Style - or maybe a mix of the two.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

that I have 31
31 !! ... Hell... I don't I even know 31 things in life now... you know... age is a wonderfull thing to live through... hmmm... now what was I doing before I started this typing? :lol:
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

dfoulkes wrote:... hmmm... now what was I doing before I started this typing? :lol:
You began here Dec 19. Have you eaten at all since then?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

dfoulkes wrote:
that I have 31
31 !! ... Hell... I don't I even know 31 things in life now... you know... age is a wonderfull thing to live through... hmmm... now what was I doing before I started this typing? :lol:
31 is after I got tired of scrolling down to select Wikipedia all the time and removed 4 or 5 search engines to keep the Search Bar drop-down from hitting my desk! Extra wide web pages that go off the side of my monitor kept knocking over a picture I used to keep next to my monitor, so I had to move that picture frame. I really hate when stuff pops off my monitor and bounces around the room!

dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:
dfoulkes wrote:... hmmm... now what was I doing before I started this typing? :lol:
You began here Dec 19. Have you eaten at all since then?
Hmmm... welllll... that's the problem... food is my friend :lol:
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

the-edmeister wrote: 31 is after I got tired of scrolling down to select Wikipedia all the time and removed 4 or 5 search engines to keep the Search Bar drop-down from hitting my desk! Extra wide web pages that go off the side of my monitor kept knocking over a picture I used to keep next to my monitor, so I had to move that picture frame. I really hate when stuff pops off my monitor and bounces around the room!
I like that... feels that way at times.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

the-edmeister wrote:... to keep the Search Bar drop-down from hitting my desk! Extra wide web pages that go off the side of my monitor kept knocking over a picture I used to keep next to my monitor, so I had to move that picture frame. I really hate when stuff pops off my monitor and bounces around the room!

Suppose you got a larger monitor or you put 4 smaller ones on each side of the one you have? :wink:
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

enigma9o7 wrote:Before, I could select the search engine from a drop down list, mouse or keyboard. Now, it's only possible with keyboard (control up/down) and have to go thru them one-at-a-time, no drop down list that one can type the first letter or click on directly.

Plus it no longer displays the currently selected search engine icon in the search bar, instead a magnifying glass. I see absolutely no point in that, they took away something that was useful to at least some people, replacing it with something that has no use at all. I understand sometimes people have different preferences, but this doesn't seem to be one of those things, I can't see any possible advantage for anyone by taking away that icon.
For that, I use the "Second Search" addon: CTR restores the old look-and-feel, and Second Search gives the features.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... nd-search/

Shows 5 for me - but 3 are default search engines that I have disabled under "One click search engines" and the other two are search engines that I added to Firefox. Not showing more that it does show. Might be OK if all the user uses are the default search engines.

IMO, needs to be updated to work properly with the current version of Firefox.

Izzy

Post by Izzy »

Looks like I was too fast with my answer. Second search (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... nd-search/) works great for me, so does CTR – but the combination with "classic search" doesn't work as I expected. Looked fine at a first glance, but "classic search" seems to have broken "second search" (or maybe it requires a restart of FF to play together? To get Second Search working again after reverting my change in CTR certainly did).

And for me, it certainly shows more than 5 engines: cursor-up shows the 5 last used, and on top of that menu is a "search by" sub-menu to more. I've added quite a few, and they are all there.