Debugger Variable Watching + Other Suggestions

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
meteorquake

Debugger Variable Watching + Other Suggestions

Post by meteorquake »

When debugging a running script, you get all the variables listed on the right hand pane.
However, I am never interested in knowing all the variables. If I want to know one more widely, I can type the variable to get its value or put it in the watch. Perhaps it's useful/ok if there are only a few variables on it, but I'm never going to scroll down a long alphabetical list when there are many.
What I AM interested in 99.9% of the time is the variables on the line I am on, because I want to see how the line will compute.
If I run from one point to another, I'm perhaps interested in the variables encountered between those points and the subset of those that changed. But NOT if there are lots.
I think the variable pane needs to be revised somehow.
Recommendation:- Perhaps have a view or filter option that just shows the variables for the area selected by the cursor, or if none then for the line you're on; (the latter being dynamic with changing lines). (ie) The ability to turn all the other variables off. I'm sure that might make debugging execution faster too.

Can I add the following extras -
* Don't need two call stacks (horizontal and vertical)
* If you click the call stack level you're currently on, it shouldn't do nothing, it should go to the right line, as often you've moved off the current line and want to move back to it. Currently you have to change stack level and change back again to relocate the line.
* Ability to Change the script size separately from the side panes. In examining a script I may want large writing but I don't want to lose screen width due to the side pane fonts increasing in size.
* Ability to kill the call stack and break out. At the moment on an error I have to press the play button repeatedly until I'm out of the error which is a pain if it's 20 deep, and sometimes one may want to break out for other reasons, such as executing something without an entire rerun of the page; there should just be a button for this, unless I'm missing something.
* What's the point of hiding the variable pane if it keeps popping back (eg when you hover over a variable) - if I hide it I definitely want it staying hidden so I can use my screen width! Similarly if I close the Function Scope list, it immediately pops open again on usage. Closing it one wants it to stay closed.
* Related issue is when you hover over a variable it causes the variable list to refresh; as well being an annoyance, it causes items that were open to fold closed, so it's often not worth opening items when you'd want to.
* I'm not sure highlighting and fading out the changed variables works when there are several. One, yes, but with a number you quickly lose what they were! It might be best just to keep them highlighted until the script runs to the next point, or have them fade but to a lighter colour rather than to no background.
* An ignore/enable breakpointing would be a useful addition. If you have a mixture of breakpoints on and off you may well want a free run and then restore them to their mixed state.
* If you have conditional breakpoints and you change the source code so they fall in the wrong place, there needs to be a way of repositioning them to their right places without re-entering their conditions.
* Ctrl-L jumps to a script line but if as is often the case you're in the lower console window when you want to do this, it instead clears the window - it would be good either to fiend a free shortcut for Clear. rely on people clicking the button, or some console command
* If a console command is repeated there's probably not much use in having it repeated in the 'arrow up' method of going backward to fill the console command line with a previous command. It should be easy to have it jump over repeat items.

Thanks very much! The debugger experience has generally really improved over the year and this is much appreciated indeed.

david