Favorites Location and Procerssing

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Atlanta Southsider

Favorites Location and Procerssing

Post by Atlanta Southsider »

Could you program Firefox to have Firefox and IE to share Favorites so that both browsers can be used while testing? I would prefer they would share at user/favorites so that all old user programmed Favorites exercising (similar to AM-DeadLink 4.6 not 4.7) and maintenance would still work. In addition with one favorites location, Windows 10 File History can also provide a Favorites audit trail and proper tracking of favorites changes.
There are many users with thousands of favorites in hundreds of Favorites sub-folders, sub-folders of sub-folders, etc. These users likely use auto-exercising and semi-auto-maintenance of Favorites. I realize that many current Firefox users would not desire to change from the current construct of bookmarks in the profile. I am asking that Firefox consider programming an option to use the Internet Explorer Favorites construct to allow for auto-exercising and semi-auto-maintenance of Favorites as currently utilized by IE users.
the-edmeister

Re: Favorites Location and Procerssing

Post by the-edmeister »

You can make feature requests to Mozilla here:
https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/feedback

Overall, I doubt if that would ever happen. AM-DeadLink became basically worthless when Mozilla brought out Firefox 3.0 in June 2008 with the places.sqlite database system in Firefox for combined bookmarks & history storage. And now with the new Windows 10 Edge browser replacing Internet Explorer the differences between Firefox and Edge / IE are probably even greater than in the past. I doubt if Mozilla has the developer time or even the inclination to create a feature as you describe, for a small number of users. IMO, there is a better chance that a 3rd party would come up with an app to synchronize Edge "favorites" with Firefox bookmarks. Like maybe a progression or update of CometMarks - http://www.cometmarks.com/ - in to the Windows 10 / Edge era?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
James

Post by James »

Even though this mozillazine.org site has had mozilla in name since 1998 it is not a part of nor run by http://www.mozilla.org and there are few people that hang out here that have done more than patches let along a whole new thing like this. http://www.mozillazine.org/about/

Note that Firefox is not just for Windows as it is also for Mac OSX and Linux and also mobile Firefox for Android 2.3+

Also any new additions in Firefox means more workload on making and maintaining it.

Mozilla has had their own forum since 2007/2008 at support.mozilla.org/questions/ for Firefox (and more recently some other products) however it is still mainly a users helping users forum much like here.
Atlanta Southsider

Thank you for your frank replies. I understand the problem of supporting code. I have never used AM-Dead-Link. I use my own code for this and having IE's bookmarks in file folders makes my job relatively easy plus File History tracks everything and is there if my programming screws up. For this single reason, I will be staying with IE and not will not transfer to Edge or Firefox in the near future.

If you ever have a new idea about this, please contact me at this thread. I will be listening.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

I thought that Edge replaced IE in Windows10 - and it looks like you posted here with Windows10.

Did you check out Comet Marks? You should be able to synchronize Firefox bookmarks with IE Favorites on the same PC, but the "synchronization" wouldn't be "on" the PC, it would go thru the CometMarks server.

And there's Xmarks, too https://www.xmarks.com/

There used to be the PlainOld Favorites extension for Firefox, which gave the user an extra menu item for direct access the Favorites. Didn't "merge" bookmarks and favorites, but allowed a Firefox user to use their IE gavorites from inside of Firefox. Disappeared from AMO with the release of Firefox 22.0 - was only available from the developers own website for quite awhile.
Looks like there is a "signed" version of POF available now - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/ - Firefox v22+ compatibility was fixed and posted to AMO on July 26. Still awaiting a complete review, so you need to get it from the "versions" page - not the "main" page.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Atlanta Southsider

When I am researching Firefox, I use the 64-bit developer edition of Firefox. For all other browsing right now, I use IE 11 in case I may desire to bookmark something. I am very happy with Windows 10, but Edge needs a lot more work: no plug-ins, pages don't swipe properly, tabs don't drag properly, the offline reader is not well done, etc. I do not expect to go to Edge for quite a while, but it does look like they should be able to make it more secure than IE eventually. I am trying, without luck so far, to get them to consider supporting the old bookmark construct as an option.

Right, I looked at Comet Marks carefully and rejected it because I do not want to put my bookmarks in the Cloud. After a cursory review, it looks like XMarks will work free of the Cloud so I will review it carefully. PlainOld Favorites will also get a thorough review. Thank you for your help. I will let you know in a couple of weeks what I decided.
Atlanta Southsider

It did not take a couple of weeks - Comet Marks, Xmarks and Eversync all require putting bookmarks in the Cloud to work and thus do not fit my requirement. Plain Old Favorites Version 1.4.1-signed Released July 26, 2013 and Version 1.2 do not work with the 64-bit Firefox browser. I guess there is no way for me to use either the Firefox 64-bit browser or Microsoft Edge for the time being. I am planning to migrate off IE because Firefox and Edge should both eventually be more secure, but for now there is no escape path. I hope either Firefox or Edge will eventually see the elegance of the old IE Favorites folders construct for the ease of user programming backed up by 100% logging of Windows 8 or 10 File History.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for Mozilla to make a change like that. As James mentioned, Firefox is made to work with Mac OSX, Linux, and Android, in addition to Windows, so the chance of a change in bookmarks storage to what is used in IE is none to probably won't happen. That type of filing system takes up a lot of hard drive space and the database type storage used in Gecko and WebKit/Bling probably uses like only 10 to 20% of the hard drive space that IE Favorites use. It might look "elegant" for users, but at what "cost"?

Atlanta Southsider

I understand. At this point, I plan to migrate to 64-bit Firefox whenever someone programs something like AM-DeadLink to exercise and maintain Favorites with Firefox. I do not plan to reproduce the programming I did to work with IE Favorites to another Favorites construct. For various security/privacy considerations learned over the past several days, I will never migrate to Edge/Cortana. In the mean time waiting for an AM-DeadLink-like program to work with Firefox, IE is perfectly safe to use with a good anti-malware system. Thank you for your assistance.