Searching for/suggesting a very simple add-on

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
WebVoyager

Searching for/suggesting a very simple add-on

Post by WebVoyager »

Hi,

I've read an article about How to Stop Auto-Playing HTML5 Videos in Your Web Browser at http://www.howtogeek.com/227669/how-to-stop-auto-playing-html5-videos-in-your-web-browser/ which states, concerning Firefox :

To Mozilla’s credit, Firefox actually contains a preference that allows you to control whether HTML5 videos on web pages automatically play or not. However, like many Firefox preferences, this one is buried deep in about:config where you’d otherwise never find it.

Mozilla improved this preference in Firefox 41, making it more powerful. When you disable autoplay of HTML5 media, scripts running on the current web page won’t be able to start media unless you’re interacting with it. A script running in the background can’t just instruct the video to play without your permission.

To change this setting, plug about:config into Firefox’s address bar and press Enter. Agree to the warning and then type “autoplay” into the search box. You’ll see a preference named “media.autoplay.enabled”, which will be set to True. Double-click that preference and it will change to False.

Hence, I've been searching unsuccessfully for a simple add-on which would include a toolbar button just to toggle this media.autoplay.enabled setting.

Does anyone happen to know if such an add-on is available? Otherwise, maybe an interesting idea for a coder? :idea:

Thanks! :)
I'm no longer here -- Cannot delete/close my profile -- Bye
the-edmeister

Re: Searching for/suggesting a very simple add-on

Post by the-edmeister »

Not exactly what you are looking for, but it works to control the HTML5 player.
Check out this extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... h-control/
"Controls as and when to display the Flash player and the HTML5 player."

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
WebVoyager

Post by WebVoyager »

Thanks, the-edmeister. Flash Control add-on could be useful especially that it handles html5 as well (when the name doesn't suggest it).

One word concerning my above post :

1- The quoted article mentions the setting media.autoplay.enabled available starting Firefox 41. I'm running CyberFox (same as Firefox on this setting) 40.0.3 and media.autoplay.enabled is available nevertheless ...
2- I've tried setting this media.autoplay.enabled to false but an html5 video (Flash removed here) ran nevertheless just the same ...

Thanks for the tip, may be most useful. I already run 70 add-ons so I'm putting the browser on a diet (already removed 5 unnecessary add-ons), also I'd prefer a browser's built-in setting if possible, or scripts. But if neither appear I may very well turn on to that add-on.
nohamelin

Post by nohamelin »

WebVoyager wrote:Hence, I've been searching unsuccessfully for a simple add-on which would include a toolbar button just to toggle this media.autoplay.enabled setting.

PrefBar lets you create a items simply to toggle a user-defined preference.
WebVoyager

Post by WebVoyager »

Most wise and useful concept, bookmarked as well - thanks nohamelin :)