Tracking Protection -- incomplete list?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
jackj

Tracking Protection -- incomplete list?

Post by jackj »

Hello,
I think the new embedded tracking protection in Private Browsing is a great concept. But it seems to be lacking. I understand that it's about tracking and not about ad blocking, but when I go to priceline.com and perform a search, I always get a popunder for bookingbuddy.com. And this site (I'm now first party on bookingbuddy.com because it's a new window ARGH!!!) is setting a bunch of tracking cookies. Yes, when I close private browsing the cookies get deleted, but this seems to be exactly what tracking protection is supposed to be about: extra protection to prevent this type of tracking. I'm not sure, but I think the script being run on Priceline seems to be from smartertravel.com. Can both bookingbuddy.com and smartertravel.com as third-party domains be added to the blocking list? It would give a much cleaner browsing experience, with less tracking and less churn while browsing.
Thanks!
JayhawksRock

Re: Tracking Protection -- incomplete list?

Post by JayhawksRock »

I assume Priceline is being paid for hosting those trackers on their website. Use Adblock Plus or whatever to to block them... .
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
jackj

Post by jackj »

Almost certain that Priceline is getting paid for trackers that also open popunders on their site. I get that their are specific ad blockers, but if Mozilla (and disconnect.me?) want to be serious about the Tracking Protection in Firefox, it seems like this is a natural to be added to their list.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Firefox 43.0b1 has a "Change Block List" button which the user can click to select between a basic or strict list from disconnect.me.

The feature is evolving.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5