Request: Add bookmark beneath other bookmark like folders

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Tar73

Request: Add bookmark beneath other bookmark like folders

Post by Tar73 »

Hi guys

I have a request for a bookmark feature.

Im working a lot with bookmarks in all-in-one-sidebar and the only way to organize them to make folders and put bookmarks there. Often I have 2-3 bookmarks that belong together like a youtube video, a software and a review that is about the same thing. To make a folder for them screw up sorting and I lose important info that the bookmark have.

My request is to make it possible to make bookmarks beneath another bookmark similar to how a folder work. That way I can keep the bookmark organized together with similar bookmarks without the need to make folders, and I can sort bookmarks more easily.

I have searched for a addon but have not found anything.

I hope a feature like this will be available soon :)

PS: I hope I posted this the right place, if not Im sry.
patrickjdempsey

Re: Request: Add bookmark beneath other bookmark like folder

Post by patrickjdempsey »

First off, this is the wrong place for requests, MozillaZine is not Mozilla, and Mozilla developers don't hang out here: http://www.mozillazine.org/about/

So you want bookmark folders that aren't folders? I don't really understand that. What's the problem with folders? That's how files are organized in most computer systems.

If you switch to using the Bookmarks Library, you have the option to sort bookmarks by "tags" but you have to manually add the tags for every bookmark... folders are much easier since they can be drag-n-dropped. You can also quickly open all of the content of a bookmark folder just by middle-clicking on it. And I don't understand what you mean by missing information... you can name a bookmark folder anything you want and in the Library you can even add a long description to it.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

So you want bookmark folders that aren't folders? I don't really understand that. What's the problem with folders? That's how files are organized in most computer systems.
Ditto on that ... I find the handling of Firefox bookmark folders and the detail in them the best around... seems that the OP needs to spell out what is going on... in a better way maybe?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

If I want a group of bookmarks to stay together in a folder, I start them all with the same word, so alphabetizing keeps them together, for instance, in my Firefox folder, 3 areas I might need from the KB:

Profile, transferring
Profile.ini
Profile--bookmarkbackups file

But I don't see how doing this outside of the folders has any advantage over putting them in a folder. I have folders within subfolders within subfolders, so everything can be categorized.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Tar73

Post by Tar73 »

Thanks for replies.
My mistake, thought this was the official firefox forum :P

Ok I see that my explanation was not good and I'm not sure my English is good enough to explain it properly.

I shall try yo give an example. This method I have used for hundreds of bookmarks. Also I have bookmarks open visually all the time in all-in-one sidebar so i can sort and quickly see the folder structure. It is a panel on the left where I can browse all bookmarks in folder view.

Lets say Im saving bookmarks for modifications (mod) I want to use in a game. See picture below
Then I first sort that bookmark after what kind of mod it is, and this work very well with folders. Lets say it is a HUD mod, and I have around 10 bookmarks in this folder.
I then rank the mod and give it some quick info so I can sort it visually in all-in-one sidebar.
This is done by putting different letters in front of the bookmark text like !, #, * and some others. This make it possible for me to do a quick sort by name and then those I ranked highest will stay on the top.
Then someday I find a review of one of those mods or a maybe a video showcase that I also want to bookmark. It would be very practical to save those bookmarks below the mod bookmark it belong to. This to keep the sorting of the mods and to easily see the info of the links.

A picture to show what I mean:

As you can see my bookmarks is ranked with different letters, and if you look at the bottom, there is a link to a video about a mod higher up called Less intrusive HUD II
What I want is to put the bookmark "Skyrim Mod Sanctuary 65 : Less Intrusive HUD and Immersive..."
beneath
the bookmark "!!! #### Less Intrusive HUD II | crosshair - hud layout - size an.."

This is the reason Im looking for a feature that make it possible to add bookmarks beneath each other.
Last edited by Tar73 on December 4th, 2015, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

You can grab the bookmark and physically move it, but I suspect you are occasionally using the Sort feature to organize them instead of just leaving them in the order you put them in. Also, you can use tags to do what you want, but as I said you will have to use the Library, which you CAN open in the AIOS.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Tar73

Post by Tar73 »

yeah I can grab them and I can do that no matter if sorted or not, but when I use sort as you say, it go back to as it was again.
Tags is also another option as you pointed out, but it demand extra typing, its not visible, and not possible to sort by tags only search, so i use tags for other purposes.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I would say that by using the 'sort' function you are going against the 'format' you've chosen to use... you place bookmarks that don't 'match' certain parts of other bookmarks and when you sort it moves some of those bookmarks 'away' from where you had them... welllll... sort is all about getting stuff in certain orders so that is what it does... so don't sort???

But anyway... here are two extensions that seem to handle some 'advanced' sorting controls... I don't use them but I see that they advertise additional options... so, maybe?

Bookmark Sorter :: Add-ons for Firefox
Sort By Name Tweak :: Add-ons for Firefox
Last edited by dfoulkes on December 20th, 2015, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Tar73

Post by Tar73 »

Thanks for suggestions dfoulkes, those are interesting and could be useful.

Right now sort by name work well for me, that is not the problem.
All I want is to group bookmarks that belong together without using folders, so only one bookmark is visible and less important bookmarks is hidden.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I use drag 'n' drop for all my bookmarks. No extension can't be taught exactly why you want certain things grouped together. If you want to try, you can spend days sorting bookmarks instead of using them.

Like you, I also use symbols and separators to sort, but first all of my 1,384 bookmarks have been dragged and dropped.

A section of my folder Kn (Knitting):
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2e4d7i0&s=9
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on December 6th, 2015, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Tar73

Post by Tar73 »

Yeah I drag bookmarks into folders in the first place but then I use sort by name when I change something.
It could be an idea to drag bookmarks instead of sort them, and then use separators to organize.
I have kept the bookmarks history for every firefox upgrade and new computer I have bought, so now I have 22757 bookmarks.
Think I need to do some cleaning here soon before database get corrupted :)

Nice, not only me giving bookmarks strange symbols ;)
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Tar73 wrote:Y
I have kept the bookmarks history for every Firefox upgrade and new computer I have bought, so now I have 22757 bookmarks.
22757! You put me to shame. Do you mean you have old ones you no longer use?

BTW--this checks if a bookmarked page is dead:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... er/?src=ss
Tar73

Post by Tar73 »

hehe...yeah there is some old ones I have not used for a long time. I shall try the bookmark checker, hopefully I can remove some bookmarks.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I'm delighted to meet someone more OC (obsessive-compulsive) than me.

One more thing. If I want to show a group too small to be a separate folder, sometimes I do this. Not sure if yours is the same:

Natl Geog Mag
--Site index
--Site index--Animals
--Crittercam, Wildcam

I also have the extension Favicon Changer, and some bookmarks that don't have their own favicon get one from my collection. It helps find things faster.
(Don't ask...
But since you asked: when I first started computing 20 years ago, I collected icons to be used with the program MicroAngelo, which is still running on my XP.)
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

When I first encountered the web in 1997, I thought, "It's like a library, except that all the books have been thrown off the shelves and are jumbled together on the floor." I can't organize the web, but I can organize the topics that interest me.