Request: Add bookmark beneath other bookmark like folders

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Tar73

Re: Request: Add bookmark beneath other bookmark like folder

Post by Tar73 »

hehe yeah maybe I am obsessive-compulsive about bookmarks, my precious :D

well said I have tried to organize too much for sure. Anyway, I removed 349 "dead" links so far. And I found that I have 10961 duplicate bookmarks, that's just insane, cant remember adding so much as a single duplicate. Maybe Firefox at some point duplicated my bookmarks.

My solution to organizing bookmarks for now will be to make a separator in each folder and keep the important bookmarks above, and the less important below and stay away from using any kind of sort. Its not ideal but the bookmark feature in Firefox is not very advanced.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

You said
"I have kept the bookmarks history for every firefox upgrade and new computer I have bought, so now I have 22757 bookmarks."

You might be duplicating a majority somehow. 10961 x 2 =21922, very close to 22,757

Not just bookmarks: all my fiction books are arranged by century, then author, all my classical CD's by composer, all my pop CD's alphabetically by artist... And I'll bet you've organized yours similarly.
and I'm not your precious.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Tar73

Post by Tar73 »

hehe...I like to keep things organized too ;)

About duplicating, I found a "bookmarks menu" inside my "bookmarks menu", and inside this menu was a duplicate of all my bookmarks. How this have happened I have no idea.
So yeah you was close when you suggested that I had duplicated a majority. Also inside this folder was "recent tags" and "recently bookmarked" folders in two separate languages, I have not had this folders in like ages, why did they disappeared in the first place, and why is it in two different languages?

Anyway, I thought now I can delete all this duplicates but for some reason I can't delete many folders and bookmarks, maybe my Firefox database is corrupt...this is starting to get interesting :)
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Tar73,
About duplicating, I found a "bookmarks menu" inside my "bookmarks menu", and inside this menu was a duplicate of all my bookmarks. How this have happened I have no idea.
That could've happened if you imported your bookmarks using the html file backup.
ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_bookmarks

If, as you say, you're having problems, then it might be time for a new Profile.
ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
& > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Tar73

Post by Tar73 »

aha, yeah I have done that a few times. I did not know that could happen, now I do :)

I could try making a new profile but I think maybe my places.sqlite is corrupt. Dont think making a new profile with help with fixing that file.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

It may be in the last link that the robot posted... but just in case... and back up you places.sqlite file first...

Places Maintenance :: Add-ons for Firefox
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

(OT/
Gort looks more and more like us every year.
/OT)
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Tar73 wrote: Also inside this folder was "recent tags" and "recently bookmarked" folders in two separate languages,
What was the other language? Please show us some if you don't know. Is your computer named Hal?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:(OT/
Gort looks more and more like us every year.
/OT)
[More O/T]
Hmmm... Well, it is our summer & he does need some protection from the UV rays.
He may even get long pants next year, if he's lucky. ;)
[/OT]

Wonder where the OP is hiding?

lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

The OP was here yesterday, so I don't count that as hiding, and he's had his issue solved. We non-mods don't have any place to socialize here, AFAIK, as Mozilla After Dark is for the cognoscenti.

Do people in Oz put phony snow and glass icicles on their Christmas trees, or is that strictly a Northern Hemisphere thing? Does Santa come on a surfboard instead of a sleigh? Many of the conventions we're accustomed to would feel out-of-place there.
Tar73

Post by Tar73 »

LIMPET235 wrote:See if this KB article helps...
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locked_or_dam ... ces.sqlite
This article seem very useful. I have tried everything in that guide but nothing is working. But I found this guide: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... leshooting, but Im so noobish that I cant even follow the guide. Need to read up on cmd commands ;P
dfoulkes wrote:It may be in the last link that the robot posted... but just in case... and back up you places.sqlite file first...

Places Maintenance :: Add-ons for Firefox
I tried that earlier, it just say that the database is corrupted and refuse to do anything.

LoveMyFoxy wrote:
Tar73 wrote: Also inside this folder was "recent tags" and "recently bookmarked" folders in two separate languages,
What was the other language? Please show us some if you don't know. Is your computer named Hal?
hehe it's Norwegian. Software usually is adjusting the language to the native language of users location but I want English, so I guess the folders in Norwegian are leftovers from an attempt to change the language to Norwegian.

For now I use a quick fix and just rename the places.sqlite.corrupted back to normal and I can continue working. But I guess at some point the corruption get so bad that I can use the quick fix so I need to fix it soon.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

The results of the following 'sometimes' gives the user some info about their data... in this case... the Places file.

With the Places file sitting in your profile (in case you moved it out) ... you can open up your Bookmarks library (Show all bookmarks) and at the top you can click on Import and Backup ... and then Export Bookmarks to HTML. Just point the output to your normal temp storage area on disk... name the file so that you will recognize it. Based on the number of bookmarks that you have it could take some time to export all of them but it should stop at some time... so, once it stops it should at least display what bookmarks it was able to send to that file... I've done it before (with much fewer bookmarks) and when it/if finds some corruption it will stop at that point ... then you can open that file up with a browser and it will display what it has. Anyway, this is one way in trying to find the problem area(s) ... and if that HTML files is real big then you may be able to 'import' it back into a new blank Places file. This last import part/testing is best done in a new/blank profile until you see what you have.
Last edited by dfoulkes on December 20th, 2015, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tar73

Post by Tar73 »

dfoulkes wrote:The results of the follow 'sometimes' gives the user some info about their data... in this case... the Places file.

With the Places file sitting in your profile (in case you moved it out) ... you can open up your Bookmarks library (Show all bookmarks) and at the top you can click on Import and Backup ... and then Export Bookmarks to HTML. Just point the output to your normal temp storage area on disk... name the file so that you will recognize it. Based on the number of bookmarks that you have it could take some time to export all of them but it should stop at some time... so, once it stops it should at least display what bookmarks it was able to send to that file... I've done it before (with much fewer bookmarks) and when it/if finds some corruption it will stop at that point ... then you can open that file up with a browser and it will display what it has. Anyway, this is one way in trying to find the problem area(s) ... and if that HTML files is real big then you may be able to 'import' it back into a new blank Places file. This last import part/testing is best done in a new/blank profile until you see what you have.
Thanks for your suggestion, but since the database is corrupt export don't work. I have tried it several times with several different versions of the places file and the export always turn up empty.
I actually do regular backup of firefox profile every 30 min so I have a 3 month history of all the profile files, and I have tried to find a file that is not corrupted but I have not been successful so far. I think the corruption have been going on for some time.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

So that I don't have to read this whole thread again... do you actually see your bookmarks when you click on Show all Bookmarks?