Request: Add bookmark beneath other bookmark like folders

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Tar73

Re: Request: Add bookmark beneath other bookmark like folder

Post by Tar73 »

hi again and thanks for your patience dfoulkes :)

All bookmark are visible when I use "show all bookmarks", and visible in all-io-one-sidebar. Everything is "working" except that the places.sqlite file sometimes get changed to places.sqlite.corrupted and then I can't see any bookmarks at all anywhere. But then I change the file back to places.sqlite and everything "work" again until next time (every 5-6 start of firefox this is happening).

There is at the moment impossible to delete older bookmarks, there is issues with bookmark history, adding new bookmarks and favicons, and Im not sure how long this will last until it get worse. But at the moment it "work".

I will try some more to use sql tools to see if I can get all bookmarks and history transferred to a new healthy places.sqlite after Christmas but so far I have had no luck
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

again until next time (every 5-6 start of firefox this is happening).
When you close Firefox...do you put your PC into sleep-mode or are you turning the power off? .... the reason I ask is that, is that with that many bookmarks closing Firefox may take much longer than normal to totally close due to it performing some 'house-keeping' ... like updating files with data found in memory etc... and if you turn off power too soon... files get corrupted.

You know... I used to keep about 2200 bookmarks in here and then I realized that with the internet change minute by minute the content in those bookmarks was probably not the same content as when I saved them... so, after thinking about it... I removed many bookmarks and now keep about 820 in here... of which I use about 10% on a daily basis... the others are just gathering dust.... and now I jump up there and just do a search for what I'm think about.... unless you are a 'researcher' and need all that static stuff you might want to re-invent your bookmarking strategies.

... and... maybe it that side-bar extensions that is corrupting your bookmarks?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Tar73

Post by Tar73 »

I almost never use sleep-mode this days but I have used it sometimes in the past. I also have killed firefox process after closing firefox because firefox sometimes use very long time to shutdown. I also have had many crashes when using firefox due to crashing plugins, addons or whatever. So the corruption is probably related to this. I read this somewhere also so I guess I have to be more careful in the future.

That's the thing, I have found Firefox bookmarks useful to organize research I'm doing. Before I used excel and folders but bookmarks is much faster. But I have no need for 20.000 bookmarks, maybe around 2000-3000 would be a better number. But I not prioritized deleting older bookmarks and now it is biting me in the ass.

The all-in-one-sidebar extension is only making bookmarks visible in a sidebar. It don't add any features or does any changes, it's only make it possible to see bookmarks in a sidebar when I'm browsing. So I don't think it have anything to do with my issue.

here is some options I have:
1. Try to find out what caused the corruption, but I dont think that will help since file already is corrupted, but I'm not sure.
2. Find a way to transfer/copy/backup all my bookmarks out of current places.sqlite and move them to a new file that is not corrupted.
I will do some more testing with sql tools, and see if I can find another way to get a backup. Maybe there is a online addon that can upload all my bookmarks..hmm
3. Try to find a backup file that is not corrupted since I have like 500-600 backups of firefox profile, but that will create a lot of work since I will need to add all new bookmarks again that I have added after that date.
hmm, but maybe there is a way to find out when bookmarks was added so I dont have to check it myself if I chose that solution, and if I have a healthy file somewhere.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

In the Library you can sort many ways like last used, date added, most recent, etc by using the top left Views button to change the sort setting...
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Tar73

Post by Tar73 »

JayhawksRock wrote:In the Library you can sort many ways like last used, date added, most recent, etc by using the top left Views button to change the setting
nice thanks :
That worked when I changed view settings, highlighted all bookmark folders and used search for "h" in search box (best way I have found to find all bookmarks)
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

You're Welcome... All of the features there are a 'hidden gem' for organizing that is not very discoverable.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Tar73

Post by Tar73 »

hehe, honestly I really don't like the bookmark tools in Firefox and I have not explored it much, but it seem to have some use.

btw I downloaded EverSync and bought a pro version and it uploaded all bookmarks. I think it will be possible to sync it with a new places.sqlite. But EverSync did not upload tags or keywords so it will be a lot of work this way also, and I'm not sure about separators. It's a little annoying that addons dont work that well, but still manage to do what Firefox can't do, backup/sync bookmarks from a corrupted file.
Last edited by Tar73 on December 20th, 2015, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

There is plenty of Bookmarks management extensions available if you need an option... I dont use any. only use about 300 bookmarks so not much to manage.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rm=windows
Tar73

Post by Tar73 »

JayhawksRock wrote:There is plenty of Bookmarks management extensions available if you need an option... I dont use any. only use about 300 bookmarks so not much to manage.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rm=windows
yeah there is many tools and I have spent some time trying to find something that add more features to bookmarks and other ways to save bookmarks, but I have not found anything interesting. Not many add anything new to current bookmark features. The only bookmark addons I use is: "Places’ Tooltips" and "Sidebar Bookmarks Search Plus".

Im pretty happy with all-in-one-sidebar so I can view bookmarks in a sidebar at the same time I'm browsing. But the bookmarks features in Firefox could be better, I don't think Mozilla see the potential in use of bookmarks and they have not done much in this area in the last years. This thread was started in search for better bookmark tools to organize bookmarks and I'm sry that I have derailed the thread.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

One of the issues that I see here is that the qty. of bookmarks go way beyond the norm and even though the sql type files that are used for bookmarks is a pretty solid concept... other actions by a user can easily corrupt that type of file...

It sounds like you use that AIOS extension just to have the bookmarks visible on the side??? ... CTRL+b (for bookmarks) and CTRL+h (for history) pretty much does the same thing... in fact, I have two icons on my bookmarks bar (B and H) and when I click either one I get the sidebar for Bookmarks or History... no need for an extension.

As for extensions that help in working with bookmarks... this extension helps the user to better place bookmarks into locations... and its little display-window is expandable to fill the screen...
Add Bookmark Here ² :: Add-ons for Firefox

But... all specific placements of bookmarks in folders ... where the normal alpha-structure is not followed... and then you sort your bookmarks they are going to be messed up... best not to 'sort' then... know what I mean?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Tar73

Post by Tar73 »

I have actually found a solution and Im pretty happy with it. I used EverSync to upload all my bookmarks. Then I just moved the places.sqlite file out of the Firefox folder and let Firefox create a new one on startup. Then I downloaded all bookmarks from EverySync homepage.
Only issue is that all tags, keywords, history and separators is gone and it will take me some time to restore all this, but first I will try to delete all 11000 duplicate bookmarks and that will take a long time.

Im still trying to find a better solution to get all my old bookmarks out without losing the data I did with EverSync.

I use AIOS for more than just that so I will keep AIOS, its one of those addons I will use as long as I use Firefox.

I always use drag and drop to place bookmarks in folders since I always have the sidebar open.

Sry I don't get what you mean, alpha-structure?

Looking back now Im pretty sure the corruption of the file happened when I installed win 10. I installed firefox and moved some files from my profile in win 7 included places.sqlite. Then I downladed addons etc ad did a lot of tweaking in win 10. At some point in this process the corruption happened. All my backups from before the installation of win 10 is healthy, no corruption there.