Skipped ads in Ublock Origin [RESOLVED]

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
lovemyfoxy

Skipped ads in Ublock Origin [RESOLVED]

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I can't find anything about this extension in the Extensions forum. With ABP, I had Element Hiding Helper to indicate an ad had been skipped. Most of the dashboard on UBO is cryptic to me. Is there a way to do the same thing? I know only how to turn at on and off on particular sites.
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on August 7th, 2016, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
the-edmeister

Re: Skipped ads in Ublock Origin

Post by the-edmeister »

There is a uBlock Origin support thread over here: https://discourse.mozilla-community.org ... rigin/6746

Also, check this thread - https://discourse.mozilla-community.org ... gin/6746/6

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

Have a look at the wiki https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki : as you say, at first this extension may look cryptic.
BTW, if I understand what you are asking for, that information would be in the logger .
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Thanks.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
therube

Re: Skipped ads in Ublock Origin [RESOLVED]

Post by therube »

So just what did you do the resolve this?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I decided it wasn't worth the bother raking through the wiki just for an occasional ad. So in my mind it's resolved.

Thanks to everyonewho helped
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

I am not sure I understood what you are talking about but I think this is what you are looking for:
One more screenshot to show this mode in action:
http://i.imgur.com/aHaKOLD.png
Sorry for my poor English.
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:I decided it wasn't worth the bother raking through the wiki just for an occasional ad. So in my mind it's resolved.
Your choice, of course.
But if you don't mind, uBlock is likely an extension worth investing some time into: once "advanced mode" is activated, it becomes even more effective, allowing to block/unblock elements (temporarily or permanently) in a completely different, much faster way than Adblock.

I second the edmeister's advice to eventually ask for specific help here https://discourse.mozilla-community.org ... ock-origin - as for your original question, I would open the logger and enter "--" (without quotes) in the filtering box: that should display all blocked elements.
Regards.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

@GHM113-- No, you're not an idiot, you're brilliant in any language. I used the eyedropper, and I had been hoping it was something that easy. There's a 1/4-page ad that's in my face maybe 15 times a day, and it's gone. =D> The eyedropper isn't even mentioned on the support page.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Speaking about all of this... I caught on to the 'dropper' some time ago... visited a page at MSN ... used the dropper to get rid of that top bar (link to follow) ... and when I used that tool... the 'content' of what was there...the Search bar, options... etc... that bar is screen-width and about 1.5 inches (top to bottom) ... it got rid of the data 'within' that section but did not eliminate the whole section... that area remained a light-black color... so, I just went back into ublock... did it again and it showed that I could save another item within that area... basically, I guess, the color... now it went from that dark background to white... but the section is still there.... it is no big deal ... but the ABP eliminate add-on took all of that out... with no problem... am I doing something wrong... probably. :-" :lol:

http://a.msn.com/09/en-us/BBvHKW4?ocid=se
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

dfoulkes wrote:but the ABP eliminate add-on took all of that out... with no problem... am I doing something wrong... probably. :-" :lol:

http://a.msn.com/09/en-us/BBvHKW4?ocid=se
I took it out easily also.

uBO can't read mind, so just like ABP Element Hiding Helper ("EHH"), you have to tell it exactly what you want to remove. With EHH one need to use Narrower or Wider during selection. With uBO, the narrowing/widening occurs after you select an element on the page: you need to click a filter in the list of suggested cosmetic filters which does what you want.

The top-most one is the narrowest. The bottom-most one is the widest. You select the one which does what you want, optionally using Preview to confirm it does what you want. In the current case, after clicking anywhere in the top bar[1], I was offered this choice of cosmetic filters:

Code: Select all

##ul
###header-common
##.head
After trying them, the bottom-most one -- the widest -- was the proper one. Using Preview, I confirmed it did not remove useful stuff, while removing the top-most bar:

www.msn.com##.head
There is a gap left behind, caused by another element with a big top margin on the page. For this, I used a re-style cosmetic filter (element picker does not creating/previewing such filters -- one has to use the browser's inspector):

www.msn.com###precontent:style(margin-top: 0 !important;)
1. If I click aat the same spot using ABP's EHH, ABP won't also remove the whole thing, so I fail to see how ABP is any different: if you click exactly at the same spot with both EHH and uBO's element picker, both will select the same element to remove, i.e. EHH does not read mind either, you need to fine-tune just as well.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

In UBI, I just wiggled the selection box a little and it widened. And the large space where the ad had been disappeared too. I feel like I have a new toy.

@gorhill-- In EHH, you hit the W key on your keyboard, and it widens.