'Bookmark this Page' still showing expanded folders?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
ck42

'Bookmark this Page' still showing expanded folders?

Post by ck42 »

...still running the .4 milestone.

One VERY annoying *feature* I'd like to see either changed or given an option for is the 'Bookmark this Page' window that pops-up.

It show me all my bookmarks in an expanded folder view. With as many bookmarks and folders as I have, this makes trying to navigate to the exact folder I want VERY annoying. I would at least like to see an option to show my bookmarks in a collapsed folder view.

So...anyone using something newer than the .4 milestone, can you confirm/deny this behavior?
shoestring

Re: 'Bookmark this Page' still showing expanded folders?

Post by shoestring »

ck42 wrote:...still running the .4 milestone.

One VERY annoying *feature* I'd like to see either changed or given an option for is the 'Bookmark this Page' window that pops-up.

It show me all my bookmarks in an expanded folder view. With as many bookmarks and folders as I have, this makes trying to navigate to the exact folder I want VERY annoying. I would at least like to see an option to show my bookmarks in a collapsed folder view.

So...anyone using something newer than the .4 milestone, can you confirm/deny this behavior?

Personally (what else?), I have strong feelings on this too. I have an <B>enormous</B> number of bookmarks, and many, many folders, so it takes that box quite a while to "get to the point", so to speak.

If it would not be too much trouble :lol: I'd love an option to set my default folder for adding URLs and not have the box pop up unless I use a ctrl-click or shift-click or whatever. (In other words, the way NS4.x works.) This could be reversed for those who prefer the current Phoenix way of doing it.
ishopnude_com

Post by ishopnude_com »

Probably not going to happen. From what I have seen (and what really makes Phoenix better than Mozilla), is the REMOVAL of extra preferences for this and that. The concept is to make it work the way the majority of people like it and hence, there is no reason to add an additional preference to disable or modify the behavior.. :)
ck42

Post by ck42 »

BAh......humbug!

I respectfully dissagree. Trust me....if you had an extensive and carefully created bookmark system and you encountered this *issue*, I believe you'd feel diffently.
If you DO have this type of bookmark system and this expanded view doesn't royally piss you off every time you go to save a page, then you have WAY too much spare time on your hands.

.....to me, this is a serious issue.
For those with small numbers of bookmarks, I can understand how this would be m00t issue tho.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

ck42 wrote: I would at least like to see an option to show my bookmarks in a collapsed folder view.

Drag the bookmarkl from the urlbar into your Bookmarks menu folder...
There you have your collapes folder view just waiting for you :)
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

Stefan wrote:
ck42 wrote: I would at least like to see an option to show my bookmarks in a collapsed folder view.

Drag the bookmarkl from the urlbar into your Bookmarks menu folder...
There you have your collapes folder view just waiting for you :)

Not so good for me. The folder I add new bookmarks to is at least two levels down in the tree.
ck42

Post by ck42 »

Stefan,

Yes, I guess that is a possibility.....only thing is, I really have never been a fan of that side bar. I NEVER use it.
I've played with it but can't seem to find any advantage to it.....for me at least.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

ck42 wrote:Stefan,

Yes, I guess that is a possibility.....only thing is, I really have never been a fan of that side bar. I NEVER use it.

Who is talking about the side bar?

I at least are refering to the MENU (File Edit View Go <strong>Bookmarks</strong> Tools Help)
Sir Rufus

Stefan's right

Post by Sir Rufus »

Took me a minute to figure out what he meant. Between the navigation buttons and the URL is a small icon, representing the page you are on. Click and drag it to where it says Bookmarks on the menu bar and your bookmark folders will appear, unexpanded. Dragging over a folder will cause it to expand.

Pretty cool, but I hate having to hold the button down while navigating through the folders. Guess I have a lazy finger, I hated the old Mac OSs that made you navigate that way too. And you can't make a new folder this way. Maybe I'll get used to it. It does make adding a bookmark really quick.

For the record 42, I'm not a fan of the sidebar either.

Thanks for pointing that out, Stefan!
ck42

Post by ck42 »

Ahhh!! Ok.....Rufus, I see now. Never realized I could save a bookmark this way.
That certainly IS better except like you said, I don't like holding down the left mouse button the whole time either....especially with this freakin cordless mouse that EATS batteries ;)

regardless tho....thnx for pointing this out Stefan...it's certainly better than what I've BEEN doing!
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

ck42 wrote:regardless tho....thnx for pointing this out Stefan...it's certainly better than what I've BEEN doing!

Hehe it's one of those "it's been around for ages and ages (NS 4 at least had it already)" featues that everybody assumes everybody else already knows about :)
Sir Rufus

Post by Sir Rufus »

Of course, if the page you're bookmarking has some lame, non-descriptive title--which almost never happens, right?-- then you have to go to Manage Bookmarks and rename it, which makes the whole process pretty cumbersome. Unless Stefan knows a better way (please)?

Call me sacreligious, but I like IE's (6.0) Add to Favorites interface better than anything else I've seen....aside from its butt-ugliness, and the Create In button, which allows you to hide/display folders. They should always be displayed, period. At least IE remembers how you set it, so you only have to click it once to display them by default.
ck42

Post by ck42 »

Rufus...just noticed that after I started using that method.....I pretty much 100% of the time rename the link name....so, yes, I need to go into BM and rename it.

I toally concur on the IE6 bookmarking scheme. As much as I hate MS and IE, the WHOLE bookmarking system in IE6 is nearly flawless IMHO.
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

ck42 wrote:I toally concur on the IE6 bookmarking scheme. As much as I hate MS and IE, the WHOLE bookmarking system in IE6 is nearly flawless IMHO.

I've never used IE6, but NS4 bookmarking is just fine as far as I'm concerned. Phoenix comes pretty close to that (hallelujah), except for speed (drag and drop is numbingly slow for instance) and the lack of a default folder for new bookmarks (or a great speed up on that popup box).

Now that I think of it, if I could very quickly find my default folder (which is buried in the middle of the popup list) <B>and</B> the popup box were an order of magnitude faster, I'd like that even better. Better still, the popup should optionally return to my default folder automatically after use. That would be the best of both ...
ck42

Post by ck42 »

Main thing I like about IE6's bookmarking system is that you pratically don't even need a bookmark manager...
By just right clicking on bookmarks, you can do almost anything you want.

In PX, right clicking on bookmarks in the main window either doesn't do ANYTHING or very little.

I'd be none happier if the PX coders made the bookmarking system immitate IE6's to the last detail.

with that said....I still hate IE6 ;)