VPN part of FF future

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
petergo

VPN part of FF future

Post by petergo »

g'day there

I have been and am a die hard fan of FF for the longest time, but an article somewhere led me to try Opera browser because it has a free VPN included.

May I kindly ask if FF is planning to include a free VPN in it's browser any time soon?

In the meantime, I continue to use FF as IMHO, Opera is not anywhere near as good, but when I need the VPN for what ever, I change to Opera for that short time

thanks, cheers

peter g
DanRaisch

Re: VPN part of FF future

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Features.

I'm just guessing but I'd say it's very unlikely.
petergo

Post by petergo »

'morning Dan

do you have the ear of the higher ups at FF, and if so, perhaps you could whisper amongst the sweet nothings to them, that maybe they could look at including a VPN <smiles>

also m8, I know of the east coast and the west coast, sometimes there even is a north and south coast, but where is the right coast?

cheers, and thanks again for the fast response
peter
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

petergo wrote:... but where is the right coast?
That's not 'right' as opposed to 'wrong', but as opposed to 'left'. The 'right coast' is the coast that shows on the right side of a normal north-at-the-top map, i.e. the east coast.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
petergo

Post by petergo »

g'day Doug

crikey m8, Dan lives on the 'right" coast, and you live sonmewhere in SE USA, that really narrows it down, eh? <smiles>

so do you think FF will include a VPN soon?

cheers
peter
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

do you have the ear of the higher ups at FF, and if so, perhaps you could whisper amongst the sweet nothings to them, that maybe they could look at including a VPN <smiles>
No, I have no contact with anyone at Mozilla so that was just my opinion, based on what I've seen coming from Mozilla over the years. They usually don't try to duplicate within the browser functions that are reasonably well supported by extensions or third party software. There have been exceptions but think of AdBlock and NoScript. They could have pushed equivalent code into the basic browser but never have.
I know of the east coast and the west coast, sometimes there even is a north and south coast, but where is the right coast?
Doug is correct about the "right" as it right side of the usual map presentation of North America. But there is also an "in joke" involved. My brother now lives in Washington State. Since we both grew up in the East, I refer to the East coast as the RIGHT coast while that West coast is referred to as the WRONG coast.
BrowseMail

Post by BrowseMail »

I've tried the new VPN built-in to Opera and it is great. I too would like to see a built-in VPN for Firefox. However, if this is not possible, I would like to see more Firefox VPN extensions. I find the number of Firefox VPN extensions available on AMO is small (compared to Chrome extensions), and most are either in beta or not approved (yet) by Mozilla.
petergo

Post by petergo »

g'day again

I installed the add-on called "setupVPN", and so far , it's simple to use, easy to configure, apparently free
No directions anywhere so you need to click around to setting it up.
In my browser the icon is in the top extreme right hand corner

kindly share your opinion
cheers, thnx
peter
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

And with regards to the correct positioning on a map... you know... top/bottom/right/left/north/south ... etc. etc. etc... nobody mentions what to do is you stand on your head and try to figure our top/bottom etc.... we could go on an on about all this... and just think about it... what all the 'space' people go through figuring out the top/bottom/left/right/north/south... stuff 'out there' :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm done now :)
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

dfoulkes wrote:And with regards to the correct positioning on a map... you know... top/bottom/right/left/north/south ... etc. etc. etc... nobody mentions what to do is you stand on your head and try to figure our top/bottom etc.... we could go on an on about all this... and just think about it... what all the 'space' people go through figuring out the top/bottom/left/right/north/south... stuff 'out there' :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm done now :)
This reminds me of some of the funny questions that people asked when the Olympics were to be held in Australia; in particular, the queries as to which way north is in Australia.

On a more serious subject, do you know which bank of a river is its right one? (There is a correct answer to this question, but then, there is also a proper answer about the direction of north in the Southern Hemisphere.)
petergo

Post by petergo »

well Johnno
I'm one of the wonders from down under, and to help you, when I flush the dunny, the water and contents travel in a clockwise direction down the hole
hope this info is useful
and BTW, no problems so far with the "setupVPN" add on
cheers m8
peter
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

petergo wrote:well Johnno
I'm one of the wonders from down under, and to help you, when I flush the dunny, the water and contents travel in a clockwise direction down the hole
hope this info is useful
and BTW, no problems so far with the "setupVPN" add on
cheers m8
peter
There were lengthy discussions about the Coriolis Effect at the time of the 2000 Sydney Olympics. Theoretically, the effect goes clockwise in the northern hemisphere, counter-clockwise in the southern. As I recall the discussions, what you see does not contradict the effect, as such things as domestic plumbing are not large enough to demonstrate the expected left-handed movement of water.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Peter, Glad you were able to get your new VPN extension sorted. :)

Just a FWIW..

The Coriolis effect does not vary no matter which hemisphere you are in.
The water just reacts to any very minor currents induced into it.
Way too small to see or apparently, measure. (Fear of inducing the wrong rotation, I suppose.)
It has been verified by experts & there's no real clockwise or anti-clockwise rotation preferred by the water in either hemisphere.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi Peter, Glad you were able to get your new VPN extension sorted. :)

Just a FWIW..

The Coriolis effect does not vary no matter which hemisphere you are in.
The water just reacts to any very minor currents induced into it.
Way too small to see or apparently, measure. (Fear of inducing the wrong rotation, I suppose.)
It has been verified by experts & there's no real clockwise or anti-clockwise rotation preferred by the water in either hemisphere.
Not entirely so according to such sources as the Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and the Department of Physics, Ohio State University. However, as I stated, there is no effect on something as small as a domestic water draining device, but there are, apparently, variations in such matters as astrophysics.

I am a recognized expert in that latter field of endeavor, as I can spell the word....

Amusingly, the latter source talks about a conspiracy of faucet manufactures to only sell left-hand-Coriolis faucets south of the Equator, right-handed faucets to the north of the Equator, but does not discuss sales on the equator.

Today's New Mexican, the local newspaper, has a particularly amusing "Without Reservations" cartoon. The cartoonist, Richard Cate, is a Native American from Kewa (formerly named Santa Domingo Pueblo.) He has been at the pipeline protest site in North Dakota; today's drawing shows four Native Americans; the Chief says "We head north to Standing Rock," and points to his right, while the three others each say "North," and point in three other directions.
petergo

Post by petergo »

and now folks, back to the subject matter about VPN's

sad to report that setupVPN has a flaw, and I am now getting lots of error messages

ERROR
Cache Access Denied.

I have disabled it, and all is well again
I will use it when I need it

thnx , cheers
peter