How can I remove items from right-click context menu?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
CapnFarrll

separator under "Open In Tabs"

Post by CapnFarrll »

I'm still unable to remove the separator under "Open In Tabs" in the Bookmarks menu. I've seen a lot of suggestions on here and none of them work for me. In fact, I've seen a few different ways to get rid of the "Open in Tabs" option itself and in fact only one has worked for me.

I've tried:

menuitem[label="Open in Tabs"],
menuitem[label="Open in Tabs"] + menuseparator,

and:

#openintabs-menuitem,
#openintabs-menuseparator,

and:

#bookmarks-context-menu menuitem[label="Open in Tabs"],
#bookmarks-context-menu menuitem[label="Open in Tabs"] + menuseparator,

with of course the { Display: none; } finally at the end.

The first one ( menuitem[label="Open in Tabs"], ) is removiing the "Open in Tabs" option, but nothing as of yet is removing the separator, besides ( menuitem + menuseparator ), which removes almost all of the separators. Any suggestions?

BTW, thanks a lot for all of the information, it has helped to remove many unwanted items.
mai9

Post by mai9 »

CapnFarrll, use this:

/* Hide last item "Open in Tabs" in bookmarks menu */
#openintabs-menuseparator, #openintabs-menuitem { display: none !important; }

it works at least in my 2004-07'23 MOOX build.

The problem with what you tried is that the last item should not have a comma.
Kete

Post by Kete »

here's another extension that edits context menus, and here's another extension.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

this is what i use

.openintabs-menuseparator,
.openintabs-menuitem {display:none !important;}
mai9

Post by mai9 »

I wonder why with '#' works in my 2004-07-23 FF build. :-k

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... +id#317081
CapnFarrll

Got it.

Post by CapnFarrll »

Thanks a lot AnonEmoose, using the periods at the beginning worked for me. That is weird, because most of the other things use the pound sign; there seems to be quite a lot of inconsistency ( i.e. menuitem[label="..."], #context-..., and #context-menu menuitem[label="..."] ). Thanks mai9 for the suggestions, and I'm sorry if the fact that I had commas at the end in my post caused any confusion, it's because I copied and pasted from my userchrome.css file and I have commas at the ends of those entries, because they are near the top and I have just one {display: none; } entry way at the bottom.
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

Can someone please tell me just where the hell this "userchrome.css" file is supposed to be? It's no where on my HD. I'm using 1.0PR if that matters.
Thanks.
God Bless,
-Clint
mai9

Post by mai9 »

http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info.php/chromedit

install this extension and open chromEdit from tools menu, this is the practical way to write userchrome.css
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

mai9 wrote:http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info.php/chromedit

install this extension and open chromEdit from tools menu, this is the practical way to write userchrome.css
Thanks a bunch, I just saw that. Now if I can only figure out how exactly to edit the file. BTW, the file doesn't exist, so I assume that program will just create it.
God Bless,
-Clint
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

I seem to have it figured out. This is great. I copied the css file someone posted on page 1 of this thread. Loads of thanks to whomever came up with this. :) Does anyone know where I can see a FULL list of items in the css file? I'm wondering if that css file on page 1 left anything out, and I want to be able to see ALL available options.
God Bless,
-Clint
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

Anyone, there's something wrong with the css file on page 1 posted by "The Q". All was going fine, then every time I try to enable "properties" under the "EXTRA" area by simply adding the /* , it "destroys" the ENTIRE css file and sets it back to default! He left out the comma after the first part of the tag (#context metadata), and incredibly even after adding it the same thing happens. In fact, just adding the comma where it should be as the rest and leaving the option off, still screws up the whole css file! VERY VERY ODD. I'd really appreciate info on how to fix this.

Also, where is the right click and "open frame in new window"? This is an absolute must since it's the only way to break out of those annoying framed sites, plus it enables you to also open the page again if you want to keep your original page as-is and use the other page to click links (useful for really slow sites). (IE has these options).

Another thing, I'm really hoping there is a right click and "view links" and right click and "view images" option for FF. This is another absolute most for webmasters/web developers. (Again, IE has this with an accessories add-on). In IE, you can see all the images in images list as thumbs and click all the links in the links list. In FF, in the "View page info" area, the links are not even clickable, nor can you see thumbs of images unless you click on them....and even after clicking them, you still get no image! Just a blank area. Another thing that doesn't work so well in FF (along with the ridiculous "full screen" key which has no way closing the window after you're in full screen! I looked all over to try and find an "F11 key" or Full Screen toolbar item, and did. But to my horror, the imbecile that came up with it has no "-", [square icon], or "X" @ upper right to minimize, restore, or close the window! You have to click the Full Screen icon again, then click "X" in order to close the window!)
Thanks.
God Bless,
-Clint
mai9

Post by mai9 »

Clint1 wrote:Does anyone know where I can see a FULL list of items in the css file? I'm wondering if that css file on page 1 left anything out, and I want to be able to see ALL available options.

you want a list of everything that can be put in userchrome.css? that's not possible. what you put there is code, there's no closed list of code.

btw, in my signature link there's some code to put in those files.
mai9

Post by mai9 »

Clint1 wrote:Anyone, there's something wrong with the css file on page 1 posted by "The Q". All was going fine, then every time I try to enable "properties" under the "EXTRA" area by simply adding the /* , it "destroys" the ENTIRE css file and sets it back to default! He left out the comma after the first part of the tag (#context metadata), and incredibly even after adding it the same thing happens. In fact, just adding the comma where it should be as the rest and leaving the option off, still screws up the whole css file! VERY VERY ODD. I'd really appreciate info on how to fix this.

let's see. the first item needs a comma because there's another item next, and the context-metadata doesn't need it because it's the last.

Code: Select all

#context-viewinfo, /* "View Page Info" */
#context-metadata /* "Properties" */
{ display: none; !important; }

If you want to comment something you do /* and */, that's how "View Page Info" is commented.

Clint1 wrote:Also, where is the right click and "open frame in new window"? This is an absolute must since it's the only way to break out of those annoying framed sites, plus it enables you to also open the page again if you want to keep your original page as-is and use the other page to click links (useful for really slow sites). (IE has these options).

"open frame in new window" is in "this frame" menuitem, which is commented and therefore not removed.

/* #frame, /* "This Frame" */
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

mai9 wrote:
Clint1 wrote:Does anyone know where I can see a FULL list of items in the css file? I'm wondering if that css file on page 1 left anything out, and I want to be able to see ALL available options.

you want a list of everything that can be put in userchrome.css? that's not possible. what you put there is code, there's no closed list of code.

btw, in my signature link there's some code to put in those files.

Sure, why is that impossible? I'm sure the css files I've seen have left out some things, so what I'm looking for is a list of everything that can be possibly placed in it. I'll check out your links, thanks. :)
God Bless,
-Clint
Clint1

Post by Clint1 »

mai9 wrote:
Clint1 wrote:Anyone, there's something wrong with the css file on page 1 posted by "The Q". All was going fine, then every time I try to enable "properties" under the "EXTRA" area by simply adding the /* , it "destroys" the ENTIRE css file and sets it back to default! He left out the comma after the first part of the tag (#context metadata), and incredibly even after adding it the same thing happens. In fact, just adding the comma where it should be as the rest and leaving the option off, still screws up the whole css file! VERY VERY ODD. I'd really appreciate info on how to fix this.

let's see. the first item needs a comma because there's another item next, and the context-metadata doesn't need it because it's the last.

#context-viewinfo, /* "View Page Info" */
#context-metadata /* "Properties" */
{ display: none; !important; }

If you want to comment something you do /* and */, that's how "View Page Info" is commented.

Clint1 wrote:Also, where is the right click and "open frame in new window"? This is an absolute must since it's the only way to break out of those annoying framed sites, plus it enables you to also open the page again if you want to keep your original page as-is and use the other page to click links (useful for really slow sites). (IE has these options).

"open frame in new window" is in "this frame" menuitem, which is commented and therefore not removed.

/* #frame, /* "This Frame" */

Thanks again Mai. I see that this frame tag will only work on framed sites. I had it all along, and didn't know it. What I'm looking for is a right click and "open [whatever] in new window" on ANY webpage. This FF extension is not available on every webpage, so you cannot use it to right click and open again/re-open the webpage. I also noticed the "remove this frame" portion of it doesn't even work. :(
God Bless,
-Clint