-safe-mode, NO popup dialog box?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
mmichalowicz

-safe-mode, NO popup dialog box?

Post by mmichalowicz »

As a developer, I am using Firefox for automated webapp testing. The only way I can get Firefox behaving properly during my automated protractor tests is to set Firefox in -safe-mode however this pops up a modal dialog box. This pretty much prevents me from using Firefox to fully automate my tests since -safe-mode requires human interaction. Is there another command line argument to prevent the dialog box from showing? I'd be surprised if no one else has run into this need...
smsmith

Re: -safe-mode, NO popup dialog box?

Post by smsmith »

Why do you feel you need to use safe mode to run your automated tests? Can't you create a new profile to use for your testing?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manager
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
mmichalowicz

Post by mmichalowicz »

Running in non safe mode, my protractor tests are inconsistently timing out. "Sometimes" if I clear out memory using about:memory, the tests behave just fine. I've tried multiple coworkers' machines and they are just as inconsistent. Keep in mind, I was forced to move these tests off from using Chrome where tests run just fine. We are being forced to not use Chrome, so this journey to use Firefox has been, well.... Painful... Forcing -safe-mode, the tests run lightning quick with no timeouts. We do NOT have control over any plugins that might be the root cause.... We're stuck with the configured Firefox and -safe-mode simply seems like the path of least resistance... We have no ability to start with different profiles, we are forced to use the configured Firefox that is default installed on our desktops. The tests have to run on any Firefox instance for any developer so I have no ability to customize Firefox per desktop/server.
mmichalowicz

Post by mmichalowicz »

I mean Jasmine unit tests, not protractor.. Protractor tests using Firefox running under a Selenium server work fine.. It's our Angular mock testing using Jasmine...