Data Choices options attractiveness

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
talos_2002

Data Choices options attractiveness

Post by talos_2002 »

Health report and telemetry data are used by Firefox developers to make great new versions of the browser. Also, it's a way for the average user to help on the development, just by using the browser.
Understandably, lots of people are afraid of enabling those options because they worried about personal data transmission.

Today, I stumbled upon https://metrics.mozilla.com/firefox-hardware-report/. It gives a visual representation of the data my browser sends to the engineers, in a way that I can understand and I actually find attractive.
This gave me confidence about the data I trust on Mozilla and actually made me want to enable to the rest of my family's computers.

If I may, I would like to suggest to include a link to metrics.mozilla.com/firefox-hardware-report in the Advanced->Data Choices options.
Showing people see what happens to the data they send, would make it more transparent and more attractive to start helping by enabling those options.
Win7 x86 SP1, fully patched.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Data Choices options attractiveness

Post by malliz »

Mozilla has a long track record of twisting metrics to suit themselves they have proven not to be trustworthy so as a very long time user of Firefox my suggestion is to not enable it.
Remember information is a valuable commodity and it can be sold traded and stolen
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
therube

Re: Data Choices options attractiveness

Post by therube »

Mozilla has a long track record of twisting metrics to suit themselves they have proven not to be trustworthy
How so?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript