Add-ons - display version numbers

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
unknownsoldierx

Add-ons - display version numbers

Post by unknownsoldierx »

I used to use the "Add-ons Manager - Version Number" extension to do this but it is no longer compatible after FF57.

What is the point of hiding the version numbers on the add-ons page? Please bring them back.

Also, please bring back the green text that would appear telling you that an extension was recently updated!
Tony-E

Re: Add-ons - display version numbers

Post by Tony-E »

Not ideal, but if you hover the cursor over the extension name it will show the version number
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

mozilla decided longer ago that is is not usefull to see the version#. in parts i can understand this because the majority dont care about and just only want to update.

currently there exist no webextension to do this nor is it allowed to read such informations.
therube

Post by therube »

Think... death of desktop, so only need to deal with phone/device, where there is more limited "screen space"...

There is no rational reason for its removal.
To consider people "dumb" that they don't want to readily have that information available.
To consider people "dumb" that they will only accept what they are given. (Umm, yum, Kool-aide.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

mozilla dont consider people as dumb, but the majority dont care, so why bother?
for me its also a pity, but i cannot change it now.
James

Post by James »

unknownsoldierx wrote:I used to use the "Add-ons Manager - Version Number" extension to do this but it is no longer compatible after FF57.

What is the point of hiding the version numbers on the add-ons page? Please bring them back.

Also, please bring back the green text that would appear telling you that an extension was recently updated!
This independent mozillaZine site cannot make any such changes. Look at the comment on right and the about link http://www.mozillazine.org/about/

Mozilla does have their own support forum (came out 5+ years after this forum) for desktop Firefox and more recently some other things at a support.mozilla.org however it is a support forum and not a complaint department or requests forum.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

therube wrote: There is no rational reason for its removal.
To consider people "dumb" that they don't want to readily have that information available.
To consider people "dumb" that they will only accept what they are given. (Umm, yum, Kool-aide.)
On the contrary, my feeling is that Mozilla thinks the "average user" is smarter than they really are.

IMO with an update this large Mozilla should provide a "firstrun" page that explains most or all of the changes in the new version.
But then the question is, how may users will actually read and learn about the changes?
My guess is that 10% will read it and the others will go off half cocked as it currently happening, and always has in the past with major UI changes.

Or maybe include this page - https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/5 ... easenotes/ - as a bookmark that is placed on the Bookmarks Toolbar. As incomplete as that page is, it's better than nothing.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

unknownsoldierx wrote:Also, please bring back the green text that would appear telling you that an extension was recently updated!
You can still go to Add-ons -> Extensions page, click on the sprocketed gear, then click on "View recent updates".