Need help removing Open menu item from right-click menu(MAC)

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
nicolasfox

Need help removing Open menu item from right-click menu(MAC)

Post by nicolasfox »

Hi

When I right click on a bookmark (firefox 61.0 on mac), the first 3 items are Open, Open in New Tab and Open in New Window. I would like to remove the Open menu item.

I think I need to put the following code into the userChrome.css file:

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gateke ... s.only.xul");

#context-openlinkincurrent {
display: none !important;
}

My problem is that I can't find the profile folder or even any mozilla folder. I'm not sure if it's hidden or not. Can someone please help me with this.

thanks
Nick
Last edited by DanRaisch on June 29th, 2018, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (MAC) added to subject line
the-edmeister

Re: Need help removing Open menu item from right-click menu(

Post by the-edmeister »

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
nicolasfox

Post by nicolasfox »

Thanks, that was very helpful. I found the folder (06wymbwq3.default-1481051531852) and I created a new folder within called chrome, then I created a userChrome.css file and added the code above but I'm still seeing the Open menu item when I right-click on a bookmark.

Do you know what I'm doing wrong?

n
nicolasfox

Post by nicolasfox »

Ok, after spending a considerable amount of time in the firefox source code, I found what I needed. This seems to be working:

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gateke ... s.only.xul");

menuitem[command="placesCmd_open:window"], #placesContext_open {
}

I used to use firefox a long time ago, then I moved to chrome. I am now moving back to firefox due to security concerns. For the life of me I can not think of one single good reason why to have that "Open" command on the bookmarks context menu.

I am not being facetious, but is that a mistake?

n
nicolasfox

Post by nicolasfox »

I was wrong. It did take away the "Open" menu item but it also took away the "Open in a New Window" item. Very interesting...

Help me mozi one kenobe, you're my only hope.

n

ps. the reason I mentioned chrome in my last post is that it does not have the "Open" menu item. I was in gmail on a long distance phone call and I hit the Open command by accident and I lost my call. That's why I'm on such a rant...
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

I am not happy with Firefox Quantum dues to issues like this. I do have Quantum installed and have been wasting way too much time over the last 7 months working to make it usable for me. I miss being able to use Menu Editor / Menu Wizard to hide menu items that I don't use and don't want showing, so this situation is a "game stopper" for me. It is either SeaMonkey or Basilisk for me in the future when I would need to stop using the older Australis versions of Firefox that I am continuing to use.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

nicolasfox wrote:I was wrong. It did take away the "Open" menu item but it also took away the "Open in a New Window" item. Very interesting...
I've read this thread twice and I've still no idea just how many of these Open entries you are trying to hide -
When I right click on a bookmark (firefox 61.0 on mac), the first 3 items are Open, Open in New Tab and Open in New Window. I would like to remove the Open menu item.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LewS

Post by LewS »

@Frank - I'm pretty sure he means the first of the 3 items, the first "open".

@nfox - the code you used works (on just that item) using esr60 on Mac.
Why that is so is beyond me, but it does happen fairly often.

It's not so much a mistake as a redundancy; once you open the context
menu then opening that tab is one of possible actions. I confess I've never
used it, which so surprised me I ran the test.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LewS wrote:@Frank - I'm pretty sure he means the first of the 3 items, the first "open".

Code: Select all

#placesContext_open {
}
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
nicolasfox

Post by nicolasfox »

Frank Lion wrote:I've read this thread twice and I've still no idea just how many of these Open entries you are trying to hide
Thank you Frank, your bit of code worked. It was just the top "Open" that I was trying to get rid of.

I still think that the firefox team should consider getting rid of that menu item. Not only is it redundant as LewS pointed out above but it's inconsistent with other context menus within firefox. If you right click on a link within the content area, the first 3 items are "Open Link in New Tab", "Open Link in New Window" and "Open Link in New Private Window".

These menu items are "correct" as far as I'm concerned. Removing the "Open" menu item in the Bookmarks area would make the UI more consistent.

n
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

nicolasfox wrote:Thank you Frank
You're welcome.