IPv6

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Odin2

IPv6

Post by Odin2 »

When a page I wanted today wouldn't load, I got it to load by disabling IPv6 per Mozilla's instructions at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... owsers-can. In recent months I have occasionally encountered similar blank pages, which then I ignored. I am now presented with the choice of whether or not to reenable IPv6; and I'm therefore asking: What exactly do I gain by keeping IPv6?
therube

Re: IPv6

Post by therube »

In answer to your question, not sure.

Though you can set specific domains to use IPv4 instead of 6.

The pref, network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains, string type, & then the domains needed, like, dslreports.com.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, therube.

Before implementing your suggestion, I did a bit of research on my own and found the following listed benefits of IPv6:
  • No more NAT (Network Address Translation)
    Auto-configuration
    No more private address collisions
    Better multicast routing
    Simpler header format
    Simplified, more efficient routing
    True quality of service (QoS), also called "flow labeling"
    Built-in authentication and privacy support
    Flexible options and extensions
    Easier administration (say good-bye to DHCP)
This explanation is a bit too sophisticated for me. Perhaps someone can interpret it as applied to the user [me].
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

all do not apply on firefox.
leave ipv6 in firefox enabled (default) as long you dont run in trouble or your network cant work on ipv6 (given by provider)
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

I appreciate the advice to keep IPv6, although it seems a bit strange that you folks who advise it can't seem to say why. In any case I have reenabled it, and (though I'm not certain that the IPv is the cause) doing so seems to have cleared up some minor problems I was having.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i can not give you a reason, not savvy enough. i know that windows 10 need ipv6 for its internal work flow thus it is enabled and my provider offers it (my router). so i enabled it in firefox again (long time usage ipv4 with windows 7/8) and had no negative impact until now. if your network dont offer ipv6 then it does not matter if enabled or not, but it can cause nifties when i remember voices here.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, Brummelchen. :)
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

IPV6 is the next generation of IP addresses and as such you need it as more and more of the new addresses get taken up.
see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6
I think from memory the last batch of IPV4 addresses had pretty much been exhausted a fair few years ago
Edit :Yep
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6#IPv4 ... exhaustion
Glad I am not in networking class doing IPV6 subnet masks :shock:
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
D.Dancer

Post by D.Dancer »

malliz wrote:I think from memory the last batch of IPV4 addresses had pretty much been exhausted a fair few years ago.
Not really, I think there's still about 10% free IPV4 address space available, to see this you'd actually need to fetch the iprange_ipv4_bogons report and take a glance through it.