The End

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
streetwolf

Re: The End

Post by streetwolf »

While we all agree that Jason gave his time, sweat and I suppose money to keep this site up and running for all these years and we all are grateful for it I am somewhat confused why he would abandon it without finding a successor? This site is part of his legacy that I would think he would like to see continue. Devoting many, many years to just leave it without trying to have it continue under new tutelage escapes me. Yes, this site is still up and running which I am grateful for but Jason has the power to simply pull the plug. I would hope he would make a concerted effort to pass the torch to someone equally worthy of maintaining this site. IMO there are no Mozilla sites quite like this one.

However things go thank you Jason for the years you put in to make this site the premiere Mozilla user forum.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
James

Post by James »

tomsmit wrote:What is "the site"? Mozillazine?
LIMPET235 wrote:tomsmit...
Please ref; this link...
> http://www.mozillazine.org/about/
Some more history at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MozillaZine

Mozilla used to make use of mozillaZine forums for support of desktop Firefox (and also Thunderbird and the Mozilla suite before dropping it) until they started their own support site at support.mozilla.org that got going in late 2007/2008.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

LIMPET235 wrote:The forum is NOT dead yet.

We all may receive a very joyous Christmas present.

Here's hoping.
100% agree with that statement! :wink:
It's on my X-mas wish list too! :x-mas:
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Couldn't get here yesterday and this morning. I thought it was the end of days. Nice to see things are back. Please do not let this forum die.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
costark

Post by costark »

I posted on Redditt thinking THIS was THE END.
Still no place to meet-up IF an abrupt Shut-down occurs.
And so it goes.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Yes, I was nervous while the outage was going on also.

Glad we are still viable.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

costark wrote:Still no place to meet-up IF an abrupt Shut-down occurs.
And so it goes.
This is something people should be thinking of now, well actually a while ago, just in case the worst happens. Frank Lion made a comment about this yesterday on his SeaMonkey forum. Worth a read. ** mozillaZine down **

Seems to me that if mozillaZine goes down permanently Frank's site is the only one in the offing that looks like it could be adapted to suit and Frank has now made such an offer himself now. At the very least it looks like the best place to re-group and folks can work something out.

Reddit is the pits.

Above said I sincerely hope mozillaZine doesn't shut down. It's a great forum.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

"Reddit is the pits."

Amen. I'm forced to use Reddit for Waterfox support and the layout drives me nuts. Do you think you should put the comment about Frank's site into a sticky, so it's more prominent?
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on December 27th, 2019, 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

The only minor glitch ATM, is the Moderators "Log in" page/link does not function If I use version 20..
Works fine in the latest versions though.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
costark

Post by costark »

With nothing showing on Frank's site at the time the Redditt Thread was just a shot-in-the-dark since no specific site had been determined; No intent for Redditt to become Home.
Logically, the average expertise members will follow the experts, and Frank's site is great for my fractional vote; (Same format / rarely used) Eileen's Lounge FF Forum IF Frank wins the lottery and the servers won't work on his new private island.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

BuddhaNature wrote:At the very least it looks like the best place to re-group and folks can work something out..
Yep, that's how I see it.

Medium term is this - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14850611

i.e. stop agonising about phpbb or not phpbb and instead get off your lazy backsides and talk to the various hosters who will give free hosting to Open Source projects and then the other bits can happen, including multiple admins. i.e.2 - do it properly.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

They musta fixed it, coz I can now Log in using v20.
Yippeeee.

Ahhh, to have the "power" back.
:)

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

BuddhaNature wrote:
costark wrote:Still no place to meet-up IF an abrupt Shut-down occurs.
And so it goes.
This is something people should be thinking of now, well actually a while ago, just in case the worst happens. Frank Lion made a comment about this yesterday on his SeaMonkey forum. Worth a read. ** mozillaZine down **

Seems to me that if mozillaZine goes down permanently Frank's site is the only one in the offing that looks like it could be adapted to suit and Frank has now made such an offer himself now. At the very least it looks like the best place to re-group and folks can work something out.

Reddit is the pits.

Above said I sincerely hope mozillaZine doesn't shut down. It's a great forum.

I know this is a silly question, but can the "shell" of this current mozillazine site be copied over to "Frank's site", without all the messages; and then use it there? It might not be a bad thing to not bring over the messages and all the old, out of date information, but just grab the outline of the operation, and maybe a few of the important messages. It would be the same familiar interface, with a "fresh start" on the data inside. Just thinking out loud here.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Did some research online and actually got Jason's aka kerz phone number! :)
It's for his company information and I called him and left him a message.
And thanked him for his many years with the mozillaZine. :D
He's done a fantastic job. =D>
Also wished him a Merry Christmas and All the Best for the New Year.
Also mentioned how long I was a member here too and how many of us members love mozillaZine and want very much to keep the forums ongoing.
I live in Canada, but, I have an unlimited North American long distance plan for my home phone.
Am thinking Jason may be on holiday, but, we might still be getting a nice surprise for the New Year! [-o<
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Invation of privacy ever cross your mind?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"