Firefox Start-up extension removal

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
brucepascal

Firefox Start-up extension removal

Post by brucepascal »

according to ccleaner, when I startup Firefox, 24 extensions also will automatically start up.
While a hand full of them are mine, the majority of them are automatically installed and opened by Firefox. Some of them can actually be disabled, but NOT deleted.
No matter how often they are disabled after every new Ff startup, at the next startup they are running again.

The text version (sorry, not very clearly displayed):

No Extension Amazon.com 1.1 default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
Yes Extension Amazon.com.au 1.3 default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
Yes Extension Bing 1.1.1 default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
No Extension Bookmark Dial 2.0.4 Sebastian Blask default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
No Extension Chambers (UK) 1.0 default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
Yes Extension DoH Roll-Out 1.3.0 default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
Yes Extension DuckDuckGo 1.0 default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
Yes Extension DuckDuckGo Search 1.0.0 default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
No Extension eBay 1.1 default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
No Extension Firefox Screenshots 39.0.0 Mozilla <screenshots-feedback@mozilla.com> default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
Yes Extension Form Autofill 1.0 default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
Yes Extension FVD Speed Dial 76.8.7 Nimbus Web Inc default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
Yes Extension Google 1.0 default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
No Extension HTTPS Everywhere 2021.7.13 extension-devs@eff.org default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
Yes Extension IDM Integration Module 6.38.19 Tonec, Inc. default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
Yes Extension Imagus 0.9.8.74 Deathamns default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
Yes Extension ImTranslator: Translator, Dictionary, TTS 15.45 default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
Yes Extension Surfshark VPN Extension - Fast & Secure Proxy 2.1.6 default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
Yes Extension uBlock Origin 1.28.4 Raymond Hill & contributors default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
Yes Extension Web Compat 11.1.0 default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
No Extension WebCompat Reporter 1.3.0 Thomas Wisniewski <twisniewski@mozilla.com> default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
Yes Extension Wikipedia (en) 1.0 default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
Yes Extension Youtube Skip Sign-in 1.0.1 Daniel Kladnik @ kiboke studio default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
Yes Plugin 0 default-esr Firefox 78.13.0

For a better view look here: https://ibb.co/L6yKnmL

How do I stop this?

Thanks
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Firefox Start-up extension removal

Post by malliz »

brucepascal wrote: How do I stop this?

Thanks
Stop letting Ccleaner accessing Firefox. Its highly likely that it is causing the problem
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The general advice on the forums is to set Ccleaner to not do/access anything at relating to Firefox. The browser is perfectly capable of cleaning things up. Just see Tools->Settings->Privacy & Security.

Also, several of those "extensions" are actually just search engines, including Bing, DuckDuckGo, Google and Wikipedia.
brucepascal

Post by brucepascal »

None of this answers my question... I am not a friend of ccleaner at all, it just happen to be practical when comes to cookies.
My question is about Ff obviously opening extensions without my permission and even without my knowledge. Connections, which I spend hours to try to make impossible!

Can someone answer the question I did ask, please?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You haven't identified which extensions you think were installed after your installation of Firefox and without your permission, as opposed to those which you may have intentionally installed yourself. As I pointed out above, some of those extensions represent search engines which are part of the basic Firefox installation. They load so a user can select the search engine they wish to use or switch between search engines.
How are you attempting to delete the ones you don't want?
brucepascal

Post by brucepascal »

Basically ALL of them were not installed by me. Duckduckgo, IDM, Surfshark and ublock are mine

Why would I want amazon australia ??? or chambers ???? or ebay??? or the one I like best, the last one: Yes Plugin 0 default-esr Firefox 78.13.0
There is absolutely NO information about what that is, and it cannot be deleted, like most of the other ones.
You can enable disable or delete them by double click, as you can see, this works on some of them, but most of them are right back everytime, Ff is restarted...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See if anything here is helpful -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_add-ons
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Where did you download your copy of Firefox ESR from? If you didn't get it from Mozilla, whoever you got it from might have packaged all that extra crap with it.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
brucepascal

Post by brucepascal »

DanRaisch wrote:See if anything here is helpful -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_add-ons
Thank you, very interesting page. I will go through it all...
therube

Post by therube »

Irrespective of ccleaner, what does Addons Manager show?

What is in Addons Manager should have been installed by you.

What does about:support show?
Things like "Firefox Features" (cough) & "Remote Features" (cough) [I don't know if those two are considered "extensions"?] & "Add-ons" I would think, together, would most likely correlate with what ccleaner listed.

The Add-ons section will list things like search engines (which are "added" by FF) & your own installed extensions.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript