restoring lost download button

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
envirossf

restoring lost download button

Post by envirossf »

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone have any ideas on how to restore the download button (arrow) on the newest version (102.01) ? I have tried going to customize toolbar to add the down arrow, but there is no arrow there. I have also gone to about:config and switched the browser.autohide.downloadbutton from true to false, restarted and no effect. I know I can still see the downloads in the Ctrl+J (downloads) area, but I really miss the arrow and dialogue showing download completion rate, etc. Any ideas, links, solutions, would be much appreciated. Thanks
BruceAWittmeier

Re: restoring lost download button

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Have you tried using the Troubleshooting method? Help > Troubleshooting Mode > Restart. See if it shows up.

You can always try a fresh install of the same version -- shouldn't change anything but might fix the missing down arrow.
Last edited by BruceAWittmeier on July 22nd, 2022, 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
morat

Post by morat »

Try downloading a big mp3 file to show the download button on the nav bar.

Podcasts
http://lexfridman.com/podcast/

* click episode
* right click download
* click save link as
envirossf

Post by envirossf »

Thanks for the replies guys! Yes, I did try troubleshooting, arrow didn't show up in toolbar or customize toolbar. And yes, I have tried downloading a large mp3 and mp4 files. The reason I want to have the arrow back is to see the download progress of the various music and audiobook files to add to my library. There are occasions when I try downloading one of those files and they start to download, but then fail for some reason. Especially when I am paying for a download, I want to view the progress so I am assured I am getting what I'm paying for!
Any other thoughts?
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

You can get to a progress screen through your Menu > bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks > Downloads.
Open it while downloading ...it is a larger display but nice.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
morat

Post by morat »

That pref is browser.download.autohideButton, not what you typed.

Is the downloads button pinned to the overflow menu?

note: click >> button to view overflow menu
Last edited by morat on July 25th, 2022, 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
lenny2

Post by lenny2 »

Creating a new profile will solve your problem, but it's not the most pleasant solution.
Open the about:downloads page and create a bookmark in the favorites panel, this will quickly open the downloads window in a separate tab.
Using a js-script, you can get an independent pop-up download window, like in older versions of Firefox.