highlighting text

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
flii

highlighting text

Post by flii »

small feature(?) request

i've noticed that in phoenix, that when text is highlighted (be it in the url, when adding a bookmark, so on...), and i try to select only part of what is already selected, it gives me the arrow-option where you can move the text to a different area. trust me when i say i love this feature when it's in the right place, but when i want to take out part of a url or something, it's very frustrated to have to click twice to do what i want; 1st click - deselect highlight, 2nd click - select what i want. (as opposed to 1 click - select only wanted part of highlighted text).

*please* don't even start razzing me and saying this is a petty problem, because i'll say right now i know it is, but maybe it was something that the developers overlooked and were planning on incorporating.

SilentJ

Post by SilentJ »

this drives me nuts too! please do something about it.

thanks,

-J
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

I like the current system. When I enter the address bar, I generally want to type something fresh, and it's easier to click twice to clear it than to drag the length to select it.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I wouldn't get too attached to it then nightfly, because fixing text field selection to act like every other Windows program since 1994 is on the Mozilla todo list.

- Chris
CatamountJack

Post by CatamountJack »

Not sure if I know exactly what you're talking about, perhaps this from my user.js will help?

// Make clicking in URL bar select the entire contents
user_pref("browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll", false);
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

In Mozilla and in Phoenix, but not in IE, you can select part of a URL without clicking the address bar first. If you try to click first, which IE users are accustomed to doing, you run into the problem you described above.

There's already a bugzilla entry: bug 87410, "drag in selection in URL bar should start a new selection instead of dragging text".
Arvid Axelsson

Post by Arvid Axelsson »

thenightfly42 wrote:I like the current system. When I enter the address bar, I generally want to type something fresh, and it's easier to click twice to clear it than to drag the length to select it.

The click selects all could still be there. The problem is when you want to make another selection by dragging in the text.
flii

Post by flii »

ooh thanks jesse that's a nice workaround. i would never matched my problem with that bug however. that's a very very short summary of what i took forever to explain, and looking at that bug name alone, i wouldn't have thought it's what i was talking about anyway. :(

thanks for the tip! that will make it much less frustrating to work with my url.
asa

Flii

Post by asa »

Hey Flii, can you please select a not-animaged image for your avatar? Thanks.

--Asa