Launch mailto links to specific mail client.

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
djst

Post by djst »

What happens if you select Start > Run and enter "mailto:foo@foo.com" in the dialog? Does anything happen?
brab

Post by brab »

djst wrote:Every mail client has different command-lines, but if you follow the instructions in the <a href="http://texturizer.net/phoenix/faq.html#4.10">FAQ</a>, you'll get Mozilla Mail working allright.

I've looked at the faq, and it did not tell me how to set up mutt under linux as a default mail client. Any idea ?
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

djst wrote:What happens if you select Start > Run and enter "mailto:foo@foo.com" in the dialog? Does anything happen?

Nothing* happens.

[a quote from Colossal Cave Adventure.]

I mentioned, I think in this topic, that I'd come across a missing Registry key. Then I went to bed.

When I got up, I pursued this further, and found it was an artifact left over from a long-removed installation of Eudora 5. I cleaned it out and tried again. Guess what?

Nothing* happens.

<I>--Bummed in Boston.</I>

*Nothing <I>useful</I> happens. I get this popup:
<A HREF="http://www.shoestringprojects.com/clipboard.jpg">http://www.shoestringprojects.com/clipboard.jpg</A>
shoestring

mailto: problem - SOLVED! 98lite was the culprit.

Post by shoestring »

I have solved the irksome problem of mailto: links going nowhere.

As Phoenix is currently implemented for Windows, the mailto: link depends entirely on the Windows 98 <I>Shell</I> to function.

Indeed, I am, and have been for well over a year, using Windows 98SE. <B>However</B>, I am using it with the (otherwise) excellent <B>98lite</B>. And therein lies the problem.

Since I had 98lite set me up with the "slim" configuration, I have been using the smaller, faster, more stable and efficient Windows 95 shell.

Yesterday I had occasion to switch to the "chubby" configuration, which involves restoring the 98 shell (though not the whole 9 yards, otherwise know as the - hm, I forget, so let's call it "grossly obese" configuration).

Switching shells with 98lite is intended to be relatively painless. It is not quite as simple as it sounds, but once it was done, I happened to think of the bleedin' "mailto:" problem, and just to see, tried it.

Well, well, well. It works. Evidently the recognizing of URL-based "filetypes" was first introduced with the 98 shell, and this is why I couldn't get it to work before. Not that I could find this documented anywhere, of course ...

There are (probable) workarounds that would enable me to restore my preferred 95 shell, but it requires binarily patching the executable and/or dll(s), and since this is an evolving product, it would get to be too much, what with all the other problems I keep running into in updating every few days ...
audioaficionado

Post by audioaficionado »

I'm running the same OS and GUI shell as shoestring.

Opera, Pegasus and Agent all have preference options where you can put a command line path and mailto switches to force the use of the default apps. It all works with my current configuration.

It would be nice if Phoenix would return the favor for my other internet apps.
8) Windows: XPproSP2
8) Gentoo & Overclockix Live CD
8) Latest Firefox of course

Cya later,
Steve
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

audioaficionado wrote:I'm running the same OS and GUI shell as shoestring.

Opera, Pegasus and Agent all have preference options where you can put a command line path and mailto switches to force the use of the default apps. It all works with my current configuration.

It would be nice if Phoenix would return the favor for my other internet apps.

'Tis true, 'tis true. Actually, there is a line of code somewhere that <I>looks</I> like it should do that, but it doesn't:

user_pref("applications.mailto", "");

... when I put the exact path to Eudora between the quotes ... heh! nothing happened!

So I guess it's goodbye to "sleek" (the proper term) and hello to "chubby". I just hope I'm never forced to go to "overweight"!

<I>PS: I've informed the folks at 98lite of the problem, FWIW.</I>
audioaficionado

Post by audioaficionado »

I'm putting w2kpro on my box as part of a triple boot setup soon and after I use IEradicator to blow away IE, I'll see if the OS mailto works with phoenix.

Concerning my 98lite installation, I'm not going back to 'chubby', I'm most likely going to install differant shells other than 95. I'll just have to figure out how to swap those other shells using the 98lite swap feature.

Third OS will of course be Linux.
8) Windows: XPproSP2
8) Gentoo & Overclockix Live CD
8) Latest Firefox of course

Cya later,
Steve