MozillaZine

Fx 2.0 / Cookies management

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
rickst29

Post Posted October 13th, 2006, 10:31 pm

I agree with Richard: removing this option isn't "trimming bloat", it's dumbing FF down so far that it can't be used until after you install gazillions of extensions.

Marketing 104 .... switch to IE7.
Make a fire FOR a man, he'll be warm for the rest of the night. Set a man ON fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

MechR

Post Posted October 13th, 2006, 10:37 pm

neveruseIE wrote:Seems there were lots of things that got "improved, changed or removed" in the new FF that are getting on alot of peoples nerves.

My impression/experience as well. I'm finding RC2 usable enough, but my enthusiasm is unusually low for a new Firefox release, especially considering this is 2.0 we're talking about here.

rickst29

Post Posted October 14th, 2006, 1:16 pm

Maybe mozilla.org is in cahoots with the CIA, so that every FF user's web browsing habits can be tracked by a 3rd party site and given to Carl Rove.
Make a fire FOR a man, he'll be warm for the rest of the night. Set a man ON fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

TGB72

Post Posted October 23rd, 2006, 2:50 pm

I come from opera and I'm trying firefox 1.5 since a couple of months ago, in spite of the higher consumption of resources I really liked firefox and I found it more solid than opera 9 regarding to the rendering and the speed.
Today I updated to firefox 2 and I realized about the changes in the cookie manager, a very bad move in my opinion, I don't want to know nothing about allow third party cookies (I used to block "third party" cookies in Opera too). I can't find any sense in remove the option "for originating site only" in the cookies manager, people who like it could use it and people who dislike it could keep it disabled but now we're obligated to allow all cookies or make some changes in configuration files, really sucks.
While firefox 2 don't reestablish this feature I'll still with firefox 1.5 and probably return to opera in a near future if they solve the rendering issues.
Really disconcerting and a pity mainly because fairfox always shone for his security.

invasi0n

Post Posted October 23rd, 2006, 7:48 pm

They make good money when you accept all kind of cookies.

What's so hard to understand?

Forget about that myth, "FireFox the Fastest and the Safest", because that died a while ago when they start counting only the millions and not the bugs.

HorseDrawnZepplin

Post Posted October 23rd, 2006, 11:32 pm

TGB: If they renamed that preference 'block some but not all 3rd party cookies' it would be more accurate. The idea makes sense in theory but in practice there are just too many ways around it - and you can be sure that marketers that would seek to misuse third-party cookies would use the work arounds. Leaving it in just gives people a false sense of security. (AFAIK the setting might exist in Opera and IE but is just as ineffectual there).

The Firefox developers seem to have a basic rule: if it is broken/doesn't work properly and cannot be made to work properly then take it out.

Old Makondo

Post Posted October 24th, 2006, 12:34 am

In about:config, change this line: network.cookie.cookieBehavior to 1.
However, the Horse is correct.

Lost User 240852

Post Posted October 24th, 2006, 1:17 am

It seems that everyone is mad at everything that's been changed. The Cookie manager, the download dialog, differentiated find/quick find... etc.

I understand that people want more features built-in... But that's the trap hundreds of software developers have fallen into over the years. Eventually, the program will end up with more features than any one user will care to use. It's fine for professional application like photoshop, but c'mon people... that's not a good logic for Firefox. That would defeat the whole purpose of it having an open structure for extensions and stuff.

Which is not to say they should take out new feature for no good reason, but as HWZ and few others have pointed out, there's a good reason behind all of those changes. That they were either ambiguous, redundant, or in this case, "theoretical".

Seriously, I think people should just try to keep an open mind here. I think it's good that they are willing to hack away at something THAT old. It tells me that they are willing to innovate at all levels. You can't expect a smooth ride all the way, but in the end, I think it'll be a vast improvement.

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

TGB72

Post Posted October 24th, 2006, 8:19 pm

Well thanks for the explanation HorseDrawnZepplin, so if that option was not completely safe and could be useless in some sites the only thing I can do is not allow cookies at all except those from the sites I add in the "exception" list, am I right? or marketers havce a trick to pass this setting too.

atcsmike

Post Posted October 25th, 2006, 12:52 am

Diorser wrote:Removing cookie management features from Fx 1.5 to Fx2.0 will raise some complaints, although I admit quite tricky to manage for real average users.

That is one of many complaints I have with FF2.0. :(

azjake0

Post Posted October 25th, 2006, 2:23 pm

This is a change that I do not like. Just my vote.

trl_path

Post Posted November 1st, 2006, 5:23 am

Also wanted to say that I don't like this change, if it was causing confusion surely turning the default setting to off would help?

cgranade

Post Posted November 3rd, 2006, 2:22 am

As for myself, I'd like to restore my favorite mode of operation: under 1.0 ~ 1.5, whenever any site tried to set a cookie, a dialog box asked if I wanted to allow, disallow, allow all or disallow all. I found that approach very useful, as I don't mind some 3rd party cookies, whereas there are some 1st party cookies that I do mind. That said, I suppose that with the WHATWG DOM Storage, cookies will become more and more rare. Does there exist a system for managing DOM Storage policies?

confused 1

Post Posted November 5th, 2006, 8:21 am

Hello, First Post from newbie, can anyone help me, I expect that you may have been asked beforebut here goes,I set my cookie options, to block 3rd party,originating site only,ask every time,all works fine for awhile,then on restart i notice all boxes have become unticked and i have to set options again, this also happens with stealther i notice, presumably this is not supposed to happen? is there anything i can do to stop this happening?I do use fasterfox,image zoom,thunderbird,i have the latest build available, using xp,plenty of space,memory etc, any ideas out there??
''If nothing changes,all will remain the same''

gregw040

Post Posted November 5th, 2006, 8:30 pm

azjake0 wrote:This is a change that I do not like. Just my vote.

Same here.

Return to Firefox Features