PLEASE AND AN OPTION TO DISABLE MULTIBLE INSTACES

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Faux Pass

Post by Faux Pass »

Stefan wrote:IE 5 & 6 does too, but for them you can take advantage of simple parsing bugs like placing html>body infront of the selector and thus feed them with "incorrect values" so it looks good.

This is totally off-topic, but wouldn't it be great if you could do something like this?

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="IE4,IE5" href="ie.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="Opera5,Opera6" href="opera.css">
shimage

Post by shimage »

Stefan wrote:
hiTCH-HiKER wrote:
thumperward wrote:Tabbed browsing isn't the same as having a multiple-document interface though, and I don't think any of the designers want to make it that way.

- Chris

Operas MDI rules supreme, I don't know why they shouldn't want it to be like this.
The main reason for me using Phoenix now is the download-view in sidebar, favicons and the nice renderengine.
Mouse gesturing, MDI and speed is better in Opera...

Of cource that Operas Standards compliance SUCK! in trivial things like CSS and DOM makes no difference ;)

so then you're agreeing with him, in that phoenix's interface should be more like opera's? i ask this since i don't see how at all standards compliance is related to the ui.

back to his point, i too would rather phoenix handle tabs bit more like 'sub-'windows, as in opera.
scratch

Post by scratch »

I'm against this. I dislike Opera's UI, but think Phoenix's is rather nice.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Faux Pass wrote:
Stefan wrote:IE 5 & 6 does too, but for them you can take advantage of simple parsing bugs like placing html>body infront of the selector and thus feed them with "incorrect values" so it looks good.

This is totally off-topic, but wouldn't it be great if you could do something like this?

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="IE4,IE5" href="ie.css">

Well, media is something compleatly else and out of high importance in CSS.
But I guess some other attribute could perhaps be used, lang eg is a valid attribute for <link> but probably not usable for stylesheets presently.

Only problem is of cource, how would you make old browsers read the correct file?
Only new browsers commin could implement something like this (and hopefully they should have less bugs to begin with :D)
lah

Post by lah »

Faux Pass wrote:<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="IE4,IE5" href="ie.css">

How many browsers suport adding stylesheet link elements with js? Thru DOM or trhu document.write? One can chose metode depending on the browser so if only one of them is working...

Same thing could be useful to load js 'lib' files.

Does it work with Ph/moz and other gecko browsers?

Guess trial and error is the way to find out, but I dont have so many browsers in different versions at hand :-(

<b>On the real topic :-)</b>

I would realy like having different program instanses for every window!

Modern OS would run the same image from memory anyway, exept from parts of the program that is modified (copy on write).

It's not trivial. Lots of consideration with multiple access to profile, cash etc.

Memory cash is probably best left seperate so that would be a signifikant wast of resorses. If not break out a memory database that handels memory cash and other stuff needing simular service. Maybe with transparent write / read to disk, fetch from network e t c. Would probably defeet the purpus with separate instanses, isolate the inpakt of fatal failure :-(

But it shuld isolate thes problem in a smaler bit of code (and the app could restart this service if the service fails fataly insted of failing fataly itself), and that service might be used by other apps (adding alot of security considerations, especily if multiple users is to use the same memory cash - but *that* is not necasary).

No, not next weeks hack, but maybe a long term direktion :-)

/LaH
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

lah wrote:<snip>
I would realy like having different program instanses for every window!
<snip>

They explicitly disallow this.

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=76431
also http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=135137
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=122698 for the linux problem.
TheVoodoo

Re: PLEASE AND AN OPTION TO DISABLE MULTIBLE INSTACES

Post by TheVoodoo »

TheVoodoo wrote:PLEASE AND AN OPTION TO DISABLE MULTIBLE INSTACES.

Heh, whats so bad with the fact to have an OPTIONAL feature to disallow multible instaces/windows?
If you want thousands of windows in your taskbar, which you have to close one by one manually, you are not forced to check the box for this option!

greez
TheVoodoo
jake

Post by jake »

Heh, whats so bad with the fact to have an OPTIONAL feature to disallow multible instaces/windows?

It would be better to leave it as an extension, so as not to bloat Phoenix with tons of optional features, as has already been stated.
Faux Pass

Post by Faux Pass »

jake wrote:

It would be better to leave it as an extension, so as not to bloat Phoenix with tons of optional features, as has already been stated.

I think "Disallow multiple windows" is a reasonable default option. It's a single, powerful checkbox with a clear meaning.

It's very likely that users coming from Opera will get annoyed by new windows (as I did when I started using Phoenix). How many of these users will know/care about extensions?

I'd much prefer to have "allow multiple windows" as an extension, if not an option. (I'm very aware I'm in the minority here.)
shimage

Post by shimage »

jake wrote:

i'm curious to know how much "bloat" this would incur? i realize that asa has stated that he doesn't want to include random small features because the core should be that---just a core---but the tabs are one of the distinguishing features of phoenix, so it would make sense to me that they sort of develop it a bit further. i mean how big is the tab extension? 56KB? perhaps i'm missing the point.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

I also agree that some of the things in the tabextension should really be default behaviour.
Eg to reorder tabs, I've been able to do that with simple drag and drop since at least 1997 in Excell. Feels very weird that you cant do that in Phoenix (or mozilla for that matter) since that feels like a pretty basic functinallity for me.
Faux Pass

Post by Faux Pass »

Stefan wrote:I also agree that some of the things in the tabextension should really be default behaviour.
Eg to reorder tabs, I've been able to do that with simple drag and drop since at least 1997 in Excell. Feels very weird that you cant do that in Phoenix (or mozilla for that matter) since that feels like a pretty basic functinallity for me.

Opera7 has it too. It should definitely be standard, it's not like tab dragging does anything right now.