MozillaZine

Download Accelerator / Download Express

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
grey

Post Posted November 11th, 2002, 12:58 am

It would be nice to include this. I find myself going back to IE if I needed to download something more than 1 or 2 mb. 56k users could appreciate that.

Thumper

Post Posted November 11th, 2002, 2:42 am

IE doesn't have a download accelerator either. if you want one that integrates with Phoenix, try Download Accelerator Plus (www.speedbit.com).

- Chris

grey

Post Posted November 11th, 2002, 4:12 am

i know IE doesn't have it. DAP has spyware, and I don't think Download Express from metaproducts.com supports phoenix. most of them don't. so why not include it with the Download Manager?

scratch

Post Posted November 11th, 2002, 9:22 pm

Because it's bloat that most people wouldn't use and (I'm pretty sure) violates HTTP standards. Talk to the Download Express people and get them to support phoenix.

rob

Post Posted November 12th, 2002, 3:25 am

Most download accelerators have a plugin file that will make them work with different browsers.

I use Fresh download (from www.freshdevices.com) awith Phoenix and don't have a problem.

Admitedley, I had to install mozilla and then integrate the program into that and then copy the *.dll from the plugin directory of mozilla into the plugin directory of phoenix.

Rob S.

Disreali

Post Posted November 12th, 2002, 12:11 pm

Getright works the best IMO. It also has a plug-in for Netscape/Mozilla that consist of a couple dll files that ca be copied into the phoenix plugin directory.

GetRight includes spyware, but you can choose not to install it.

Thumper

Post Posted November 12th, 2002, 1:58 pm

Getright includes no spyware or adware of any kind. The author feels rather bad that Getright was one of the first programs to widely distribute spyware and now there isn't even an ad-supported version.

Having said that, the Moz plugin is still a bit tetchy, but it's open source. I'd buy chocolates for anyone who got it working as well as Getright's IE integration.

- Chris

chrisMage

Post Posted November 13th, 2002, 7:34 am

Someone could always write an extension for phoenix to integrate download acceleration. Couldn't be that challenging, could it?

marcoslee

Post Posted November 13th, 2002, 8:49 pm

grey wrote:It would be nice to include this. I find myself going back to IE if I needed to download something more than 1 or 2 mb. 56k users could appreciate that.

I uses the flashget plugin for opera,just install the plugin in your phoenix plugin folder instead if opera

The Q

Post Posted November 14th, 2002, 8:46 am

I use the great (and free) Star Downloader:

http://www.stardownloader.com/

It has all the features of Getright and none of the cost!! :)

Great, intuitive interface, simple and effective and as a coincidence even looks similar to Phoenix's modern interface!

Having separate little programs to do things is much better in my humble opinion, and if they are all free or open source even better:

Office productivity - OpenOffice.org
Web browsing - Phoenix
Download Manager - Star Downloader
Email - Eudora in ad sponsor mode until Thunderbird sees the light of day....
Antivirus - H+BEDV AntiVir XP
Spyware killers - Lavasoft Ad-Aware and the old Popup Killer 1.45.3 for older browsers (only sees one window in Phoenix sadly)
P2P - Shareaza (no spyware etc, just simple effective P2P over gnutella)
Graphics viewing - SlowView
MP3 playing - SysTrayPlayer (no longer developed but the simplest and neatest interface ever!)

Cheers!

Q

Disreali

Post Posted November 14th, 2002, 11:44 pm

thumperward wrote:Getright includes no spyware or adware of any kind. The author feels rather bad that Getright was one of the first programs to widely distribute spyware and now there isn't even an ad-supported version.

Having said that, the Moz plugin is still a bit tetchy, but it's open source. I'd buy chocolates for anyone who got it working as well as Getright's IE integration.

- Chris

He finally remove the adware/spyware junk? Good. I agree that better intigration with Mozilla/Netscape/Phoenix would be good, but I am used to the current plug-in.

Maybe the next version will be better.

slacker

Post Posted November 21st, 2002, 6:03 pm

I have never really found that download accelerators actually sped things up for me. Why is that? The real reason I even ever tried one was to get a resume function (tired of losing a long download with IE) I think Satchel is great. DOes that make my experience a rare one?
Is it the cows? Or the cars...

old Neil Parks

Post Posted November 22nd, 2002, 12:09 am

(post deleted)
Last edited by old Neil Parks on November 26th, 2002, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

old Neil Parks

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 8:14 pm

thumperward wrote:IE doesn't have a download accelerator either. if you want one that integrates with Phoenix, try Download Accelerator Plus (www.speedbit.com).

- Chris

If you want one that's absolutely free (no ads, no nags, donations appreciated but not demanded)
and which integrates very nicely with Phoenix, try Star Downloader

http://www.stardownloader.com

Zaphod

Post Posted November 27th, 2002, 12:04 am

Another Download Manager\Accelerator is LeechGet. Its also freeware (no spy/adware) and it works perfect for me.

Link: http://www.leechget.com

Return to Firefox Features