Firefox Tuning

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Zulithe

Post by Zulithe »

neoufo51,

I'm on an 800mhz AMD Athlon and dialup so I would too :)

The settings suggested in the very first post seem like they should work just fine but I don't have a 2ghz processor, which settings should be toned down a bit to be ideal for processors in this range?
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

There should be a list somewhere so people can just look at it an know what they need so each one doesn't have to ask again and again here.

:-)
alex-the-cat

Post by alex-the-cat »

Zulithe wrote:neoufo51,

I'm on an 800mhz AMD Athlon and dialup so I would too :)

The settings suggested in the very first post seem like they should work just fine but I don't have a 2ghz processor, which settings should be toned down a bit to be ideal for processors in this range?

The setting in the very fist post should be good with all processor range because the bottle neck is not on the processor but on the connection.
Please Fold! Rage3D is a nice place to start
cotwom

Post by cotwom »

I just felt this post needed to be brought back to attention.

:D
Mountain Dew and Doughnuts, because breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
soccer_dude182

Post by soccer_dude182 »

I heard an extension was requested for this... There should really be 2 extensions, one for dialup and the other for broadband, or at least maybe organize the tune ups a bit? It seems kind of sloppy as many were posting their customized user.js.
cotwom

Post by cotwom »

soccer_dude182 wrote:I heard an extension was requested for this... There should really be 2 extensions, one for dialup and the other for broadband, or at least maybe organize the tune ups a bit? It seems kind of sloppy as many were posting their customized user.js.

I agree. However I feel the first 2-3 pages cover enough good info for broadband or dialup, that anyone can use it. All the other pages are entertaining/informative.

I've been recomending this thread to many friends/users with questions.
Mountain Dew and Doughnuts, because breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

I've been watching this page, and not doing anything. I figure the browser code itself keeps improving, and builders also offer optimizations. What is true for user.js today might not be tomorrow, and it is too much bother to keep on top of it all.

Interesting stuff, though. Maybe this will help the code overall in the long run. Who knows, maybe they will tweak the default settings as a result of reading all this.
cotwom

Post by cotwom »

sasquatch wrote:What is true for user.js today might not be tomorrow, and it is too much bother to keep on top of it all.

Is that why this hasn't been stickied yet?
soccer_dude182

Post by soccer_dude182 »

sasquatch wrote:What is true for user.js today might not be tomorrow, and it is too much bother to keep on top of it all.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why is that? Shouldn't these tweaks (or at least most of them) be effective when .9 rolls around?
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

They still are effective and will be in 0.9 and 1.0. The basic structure of the layout algorithms haven't changed since quite some time, with exception of some string rewrites that didn't affect these preferences. Even in case one of them shouldn't be picked up any longer in future, it won't hurt, it will simply be ignored.
"I'll be dead after I die. I was dead before I was born. Life is a break from death." - Hlynur, 101 Reykjavík
PhoenixNostalgia

Post by PhoenixNostalgia »

Yeah, the settings in the first post are working the best for my dialup.

Thanks, Laszlo.
yodandy

Post by yodandy »

Sorry to be noob-ish, but can someone quickly post some settings for an amd2200+ 512mb ram and 768k dsl?
cotwom

Post by cotwom »

yodandy wrote:Sorry to be noob-ish, but can someone quickly post some settings for an amd2200+ 512mb ram and 768k dsl?

Try Laszlo's post on the top of page 2. Those seem to work well on DSL or better with your setup.
Xu

Post by Xu »

Now that the Progress meter is working in the nightlys.... :monkey:

I've noticed the progress apears bouncy on occasion. Is this an indication that there are reflows?
TIA
alex-the-cat

Post by alex-the-cat »

Nu|| wrote:Now that the Progress meter is working in the nightlys.... :monkey:

I've noticed the progress apears bouncy on occasion. Is this an indication that there are reflows?
TIA

i think it is, but not sure tho.
Please Fold! Rage3D is a nice place to start