extensions.update.notifyUser

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
colfer

extensions.update.notifyUser

Post by colfer »

Anybody have documentation on extensions.update.notifyUser ? I'd like to add it to the kb article on about:config entries. It only shows up if you add it; it's not in a clean profile at all. I've found some references here in the forums and via Google, and two in Bugzilla, but nothing that explains it yet.

I think what it does when true is to force an extension update check on startup. Then it sets itself back to false.
Unarmed

Post by Unarmed »

It was introduced in the patch for bug 307358. It’s a flag for whether to show the software update dialog for extensions; when that dialog is shown, it's immediately set back to false. The only time it’s set to true is if Firefox has done a check for extension updates in the background and one or more have updates available.
colfer

Post by colfer »

OK, I added it to http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.php?tit ... ig_entries as follows:
extensions. update. notifyUser
Boolean
A flag for whether to show the software update dialog for extensions on startup. The application sets this pref to true after it checks for extension updates in the background and finds one or more updates available. On the next startup, the dialog is shown and the pref is immediately set to false. You would not normally change this pref manually, unless debugging startup and updates. Setting it to true will cause the dialog to open on next startup, but the dialog will close immediately if there is no update pending. Unset by default (until first background check). Introduced by the patch for bug 307358.
Firefox 2.x only.

Thanks.