How'd'ya retain password manager information?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
shoestring

How'd'ya retain password manager information?

Post by shoestring »

Last night I decided to install the latest nightly.

Big mistake.

I <I>thought</I> I'd squirreled away the right stuff so that nearly everything I'd configured would be there when I started the new version.

Nope.

I think I redid the install 3 times before I gave up and reinstalled all the extensions on-line. And reset those of my preferences that did not get saved (I did manage to salvage my user.js and userChrome.css, and my bookmarks, though for some reason PHX seemed to find it necessary to, Yet Again, add the damn ie "favorites" on to the end. Those "favorites" are just a copy of my NS bookmarks as of a few months ago. I certainly don't need 'em tacked on to the most recent version.

What I'm writing about here, though, is the password (etc.) manager. Now, I know this is "about" to be superceded by something called Satchel, but I lost all the dang passwords I had there, wherever <I>there</I> is, during this update.

:?: So the question is, how do I prevent this from happening again? And, preferably, how do I maintain all the extensions and settings through an update?
Bill Phillips
Sexagenarian Boy Genius
Geekhaven, Massachusetts
marcoslee

Re: How'd'ya retain password manager information?

Post by marcoslee »

shoestring wrote:Last night I decided to install the latest nightly.

Big mistake.

I <I>thought</I> I'd squirreled away the right stuff so that nearly everything I'd configured would be there when I started the new version.

Nope.

I think I redid the install 3 times before I gave up and reinstalled all the extensions on-line. And reset those of my preferences that did not get saved (I did manage to salvage my user.js and userChrome.css, and my bookmarks, though for some reason PHX seemed to find it necessary to, Yet Again, add the damn ie "favorites" on to the end. Those "favorites" are just a copy of my NS bookmarks as of a few months ago. I certainly don't need 'em tacked on to the most recent version.

What I'm writing about here, though, is the password (etc.) manager. Now, I know this is "about" to be superceded by something called Satchel, but I lost all the dang passwords I had there, wherever <I>there</I> is, during this update.

:?: So the question is, how do I prevent this from happening again? And, preferably, how do I maintain all the extensions and settings through an update?

for your first question i already post my answer on this post u can go there and read http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=649

as for how to maintain all the extension and settings,well for me,i download and keep all the xpi extension(tab and quickpref etc),bookmark.html,cookperm.txt.password log and theme saved inside my custom date folder,it will save u a lot of time instead of installing from different website everytime u reinstall,next copy the password extension log over to the new profile as i stated how in first question,then copy the cookperm.txt over to your new profile as well.finally import the bookmark.html,this way u can reinstall in a few seconds instead of mins :)
marcoslee

Re: How'd'ya retain password manager information?

Post by marcoslee »

oh yeah almost forgot,if u have any plugin install(flashget plugin etc) u should delete everything in your phoenix dir but keep the plugin folder so u don't have to install your plugin a second time,or u could also keep the plugin.exe inside your custom data folder and reinstall again when u upgrade