browser.block.target_new_window

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Ted Mielczarek

browser.block.target_new_window

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Phoenix needs this pref back. I don't like sites opening up new windows on me. And yes, I know about the Tabbed Browsing Extensions, and I don't want to use them. Besides, this code is already in Mozilla.

Reference: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=56296
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

No offense, but if you want the functionality so badly, why not use the extension? Where exactly is the problem here? Why should you personally be able to dictate that functionality which is already separeted into an extension should go back into the default build?

- Chris
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

thumperward wrote:No offense, but if you want the functionality so badly, why not use the extension? Where exactly is the problem here? Why should you personally be able to dictate that functionality which is already separeted into an extension should go back into the default build?

- Chris

I'm considering writing a stripped-down extension to implement just this pref, but it seems silly when the work has already been done on the Mozilla trunk. I'm not dictating anything, just saying that Phoenix should make good on its promise to use the best features from Mozilla. Also, the tabbed browsing extension has loads of crap that I don't want. I'm firmly against this trend of extensions expanding their functionality until their one or two useful options are buried in a sea of junk. No offense to the tabbed browsing extension author, but that extension has way too many options for me.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

That's fair enough, but surely a lightweight extension with just the added functionality you need would be a better solution?

Mozilla also comes with two themes by default, a mail client and a lot of other useful features which aren't in Phoenix. I'd rather have a tiny browser and twenty 'essential' extensions than have anything in the default build that I don't use.

- Chris
djst

Re: browser.block.target_new_window

Post by djst »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:Phoenix needs this pref back. I don't like sites opening up new windows on me. And yes, I know about the Tabbed Browsing Extensions, and I don't want to use them. Besides, this code is already in Mozilla.

Reference: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=56296

Has the pref been removed? It's working in the nov 11 nightly.
cdn

Post by cdn »

WFM my cvs build
Ted Mielczarek

Ah

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Still running 0.4 here. Are the new nightlies stable enough for regular use?
djst

Re: Ah

Post by djst »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:Still running 0.4 here. Are the new nightlies stable enough for regular use?

So you're complaining about a missing feature and haven't checked the latest nightly? :)
Ted Mielczarek

Pfeh

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Can't always live on the bleeding edge. :-P