Crash Recovery.

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
devbrain

Crash Recovery.

Post by devbrain »

One of the single reasons I still use galeon is because of it's crash recovery. Something goes AWOL on a page, takes down the browser ... all I do is start it up, click "yes" on recover session, and the only thing I've lost is partial forms (seldom) and my tab-history (often problematic but not a showstopper).

By having the session in a plain XML file, I can go in and edit $HOME/.galeon/session_crashed.xml and manually remove the problematic page if it causes a continued crash.

So, if there were something on my phoenix wishlist, it'd be this.
Dave Baker
shimage

Post by shimage »

install the latest tab extensions, go into your mozilla prefs, and change the startup page to "last page visited." it works for exiting normally, and i'm assuming it'll work on crashes too, though i haven't really tested that one out...
worth

Post by worth »

I don't think he wants just the last page visited, but all tabs and windows that were opened at the time of the crash (ala Opera).
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

worth wrote:I don't think he wants just the last page visited, but all tabs and windows that were opened at the time of the crash (ala Opera).

That's why he said to go get the TAB extension...
devbrain

Almost works.

Post by devbrain »

This <b>almost</b> works ... and does a good enough job of it to let me not worry about the minor differences.

1) I don't have the specific "save session" or "exit with session" ... no real need, since I can just kill the process instead when I need to.

2) Killing the process (SIGINT - I've not duplicated a browser crash yet) and restarting will reopen <b>most</b> of the original tabs. If I was opening/closing tabs manually before the shutdown the last few tab operations are normally forgotten.

Thanks for the pointers.
Dave Baker
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

BTW, I do agree that crashrecovery SHOULD be implemented by default.
Sooner or later a browser crashes, and minimizing the problems caused is defintly a nice thing to do.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Stefan wrote:BTW, I do agree that crashrecovery SHOULD be implemented by default.
Sooner or later a browser crashes, and minimizing the problems caused is defintly a nice thing to do.

On an even more severe note, when Phoenix crashes it tends to lose my cookies, and I think it loses preferences too, although I'm not certain. I really wish it wouldn't do that.