Queue in Download Manager

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Magnakai

Queue in Download Manager

Post by Magnakai »

This might be going too far for what's essentially a simple download manager, but I was wondering if it were possible to include some sort of queuing system. Maybe you could set a maximum number of concurrent downloads, and then any downloads past that number would be queued. Then, as long as a file hadn't started downloading, you could juggle the order, or pause them and carry on a different one.
Basically, I'd like similar options to a P2P program.
What do you think?
name already taken

Post by name already taken »

Sounds like a good idea to me, especially since I am stuck on dialup.
It would be great if I could just have a list of stuff to download over night, one by one.
Magnakai

Post by Magnakai »

I'm on dialup too, and that's exactly why I want a full-blooded download manager. Sure, I can use something like Getright, but I want a more elegant, simpler solution. If I had the knowhow, I'd see about knocking one up myself. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do that.
GCG

Post by GCG »

Hi-

Try http://members.lycos.nl/mozillafirefox/ ... opic=35&s= it may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it's worth a shot.
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

I don't think queueing is planned as a core part of the DM, but it could be made available as an extension. Cross-session resuming, however, is definitely considered a core part of the DM and will appear sometime soon.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
Magnakai

Post by Magnakai »

I already use the improved Download Manager. It's a bit prettier, but it doesn't really do all that much for what I want.

If they put cross-session resuming in, I guess it'd be a lot easier to tweak some sort of extension to do what I want. Hmm. We'll see, I guess.
spectre240sx

Post by spectre240sx »

I'd just like to add another vote to add queueing into the download manager. I don't think it would overcomplicate it much at all.
Aqua.

Post by Aqua. »

You have my vote :)
Faster than a three legged squirrel
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

spectre240sx

Post by spectre240sx »

The improved download manager has been mentioned, but I think this should be part of the core DM from mozilla. There's no reason that we should have to download an extension for this.
brokenbeaker

Queue in download manager

Post by brokenbeaker »

this feature is a must - i use a dialup connection to download research articles. as things stand now, i have to wait for each article to finish downloading to start the next one. not very useful.
goa103

Post by goa103 »

What's with the Download Manager Tweak extension ? Does it allow us to queue downloads ? I don't think so, it's not mentionned on the website for example.

For info there's the A file queue would be a useful tool for downloading multiple files from a single site. feature request. I can't wait until it's implemented :).