Type ahead shortcut improvement

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
andnaess

Type ahead shortcut improvement

Post by andnaess »

OK, type ahead find totally rules, my goal of getting rid of the mouse has taken another giant leap forward thanks to this brilliant feature. However, when getting several matches it doesn't seem to work the way I except. The docs say that if I repeat some char it should start cycling the found links, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Currently I have to use CTRL+G to go to the next found entry, this is awkward! What would be great was if I could simply slap CTRL+SPACE to go to the next hit.

This would be extremely convenient for sites that use stuff like "Read more", I could simply type Read, and then keep hitting CTRL+SPACE to cycle through the available articles. Since type-ahead find is *the* most used function after only 3 hours of use, it needs to be fast an easy to use, hence the spacebar, remember Fitz' law ;)
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

I like it. Is Ctrl-space assigned to anything at the moment? I think there was a thread of people wanting to assign that to Home (which I never use anyway).
djst

Re: Type ahead shortcut improvement

Post by djst »

andnaess wrote:OK, type ahead find totally rules, my goal of getting rid of the mouse has taken another giant leap forward thanks to this brilliant feature. However, when getting several matches it doesn't seem to work the way I except. The docs say that if I repeat some char it should start cycling the found links, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Currently I have to use CTRL+G to go to the next found entry, this is awkward! What would be great was if I could simply slap CTRL+SPACE to go to the next hit.

This would be extremely convenient for sites that use stuff like "Read more", I could simply type Read, and then keep hitting CTRL+SPACE to cycle through the available articles. Since type-ahead find is *the* most used function after only 3 hours of use, it needs to be fast an easy to use, hence the spacebar, remember Fitz' law ;)

F3 is supposed to work, but I think it's broken.
andnaess

Post by andnaess »

djst wrote:F3 is supposed to work, but I think it's broken.

Well, F3 is even worse than CTRL-G, it's way up there you know... I always have my left hand firmly planted close to the left set of modifier keys because I use them in *all* my programs, so striking CTRL-Space is *much* easier than F3, or CTRL-G.
djst

Post by djst »

andnaess wrote:
djst wrote:F3 is supposed to work, but I think it's broken.

Well, F3 is even worse than CTRL-G, it's way up there you know... I always have my left hand firmly planted close to the left set of modifier keys because I use them in *all* my programs, so striking CTRL-Space is *much* easier than F3, or CTRL-G.

You can always move your chair a bit closer to the keyboard... or file a rfe for the ctrl+space shortcut.
andnaess

Post by andnaess »

djst wrote:You can always move your chair a bit closer to the keyboard... or file a rfe for the ctrl+space shortcut.

My chair is close enough, thank you :) So, a rfe is presumably a Request For E...(?) feature? (Extensions?), where do I file this thing? I thought this was the place to discuss feature enhancements?
djst

Post by djst »

andnaess wrote:
djst wrote:You can always move your chair a bit closer to the keyboard... or file a rfe for the ctrl+space shortcut.

My chair is close enough, thank you :) So, a rfe is presumably a Request For E...(?) feature? (Extensions?), where do I file this thing? I thought this was the place to discuss feature enhancements?

Everything you need here:
http://texturizer.net/phoenix/bugs.html

(RFE = Request For Enhancement)
aarem

Post by aarem »

i agree with the original poster -- let us all keep CTS at bay!

here's a plaintive request: can we please keep those F-keys as far away from the keybindings as possible. I myself use them for generic (application-independent) keystrokes because they are almost never used by any applications (i use linux). Would mess things up if more and more F-keys were taken away this way...such as F-11. :cry: